Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Letting it sit too long?

Guys
My 65 GTO will sit for about 3-4 weeks at a time covered up in my unheated, unair conditioned garage.
I've been asking a few mechanics I know if they thought I should be at least starting it up and letting it idle until it reachs a steady temp to keep the seals from drying out.

I'm told from don't worry about it unless it will sit for 3-4 months, to start it up until the temp gage moves at least once a week.
What do you guys think?

Mike

Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might get alot of differing opinions on this,but I don't think letting it set(unheated in Florida,no big deal there)for 3-4 weeks at a time would hurt.As a matter of fact,if you start it and only let it run for 10-15 minutes without driving it,you could have the problem of unevaporated moisture in both your crankcase and exhaust sytem.If your'e going to start it every week(or 3)DRIVE IT.Just my $.02.Also,i would avoid covering it untill it cools down if at all possible.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a car. Let it sit. No problem. Seriously.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
It's a car. Let it sit. No problem. Seriously.
x2 I stabilize the fuel around christmas, and I may get to drive it once a month fro dec to april.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

I don't think you will have any prob. with it sitting I pull my boat out of the water and that engine sits all late fall, winter and most of the spring and I have no probs. if you want, buy a can of some marine engine fogging oil and follow what the can says OR when you shut it down for good pull spark plugs and spray some in the cyls. it's up to you-----BOB

Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 AM

Default Let is sit in peace

I store all the time for months being in the north county. Our motor home gets fired about 3 times a year. Been ok since '79

As meantioned, fuel stablizer and a full tank is most important. Un-hook the battery and if you are worried about 3 month or more of storage, pour some oil into the carb while running and fog the motor (benifits the exhaust system as much as anything with a good coat of oilly smoke). Fogging is only needed if there is a chance you won't be waking her up in the spring or next year for that matter. Stablizer is a must. Fill the tank with non-ethanol if you can get it.

Starting the engine periodically can cause more problems in the long run IMHO. Heres why:

Idling the motor does not lube the cam lobes. Big springs and performance cams could gald the cam if it is started often and idled. Each start is pretty much dry. Some may augue with this, but this is why we "break in the cam" at 2200.

Second of all, unless you get the exhaust really warm, you are shutting it down with water in the exhaust. I put em away nice and warm, unhook the battery and let them sleep.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i dont think sitting for 3-4 weeks will hurt, at least its sitting out of the weather in a garage, lots of poor ole pontiacs have to rough it in the weather.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Chief

Default .

My car sits from December till the first good rainfall in May to wash the salt off the roads before I drive it, been doing this for eiight years. I use fuel stabilizer, and full tank of gas. Tires are a bit out of whack till I put some mileage on them when I first take it out but after its okay.............

Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless you crank it and get it COMPLETLY up to operating temp, leave it alone. At that it takes quite a while even driving it around.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 PM

Thanks Guy's
I feel much better

Mike