Old 11-09-2009, 02:14 AM

Default Judge jacket - but with no patch

My appologizes in advance if this has already been asked.

I'm aware the jacket that is often refered to as the "judge jacket" was actually available with a choice of 3 different patches - "GTO", "Firebird" or "The Judge"

Click image for larger version

Name:	c4f3_3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	186964

my understanding is the jacket was originally designed and manufactured exclusively on behalf of Pontiac. It was available from Pontiac dealers or mail order from MacManus, John & Adams, Inc. at $9.75 (which I believe included shipping) even in 1969 it couldn't have been much of a money maker. The main purpose must have been promotional. Which means the patch/emblem would have been critical to the purpose of the jacket.

So my question is, did they also offer a version with no patch/emblem back in 1969-early 1970's, and if so, why and how was it distributed? I'm sure I've seen at least one other post on this forum from years ago that mentions a patchless judge jacket. Other than the missing patch, is there any other construction/materials differences between the patchless and patched jackets?

Reason for my curiosity, is that I recently obtained what seems to be a patchless judge jacket, I had a close look at the area where a patch might have been, so I'm sure this jacket has never had a patch. It seems legit - reflective strips, crossover zippered pockets, one sleeve pocket with pen pocket, talon main zipper, zipper rings, bonner tag size L

Name:	314046600_o.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	186965

Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike Lannom

I have an original jacket with no patch as well. Maybe a batch shipped before the patch was installed.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Actually...

the patch was most likely to be added when it was decided which car the customer was buying. I have two with GTO patches because the dealer gave one away with EVERY GTO he sold...his own personal promotion. I still talk with him on a regular basis. I got the NOS one from him and a used one from his old service manager. He had several more, but they just wore them around his farm "to feed horses and such."! Anyway...Bonner Mfg. should be on the label inside if it is legit. Just an FYI. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis-formerly Jegstek View Post
...Bonner Mfg. should be on the label inside if it is legit. Just an FYI. Ron
This is the label, looks good

Name:	314046752_o.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	187017

Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukc View Post
This is the label, looks good

Attachment 187017
that's the one! The "L" size is a plus as well. One of mine is a "M" and one is a "L". Anyway...looks legit to me....vertical pockets, reflective stripes and all. I've seen the patches for sale separately on e-Bay. Nice find. Ron

Old 11-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ebay Auctions

Here's two options:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Judge-GTO-19...item5881ee9de1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...Q5fMerchandise

Old 11-11-2009, 12:14 AM

yes, this is what I'm considering. Before I had a close look at the jacket, I just assumed that it must have originally had a patch, and that it must have been removed sometime in the past, I figured there would be some sort of stitch marks or something that would indicate exactly where to add back the patch, maybe even give an outline so I could determine by shape which patch it originally came with. But after close inspection, I'm sure it never had a patch.

I realize this is not anything like a collectible vintage pontiac car, it's just a nylon jacket. But even so, maybe this is a tiny piece of pontiac heritage. If this jacket was originally made and sold on behalf of pontiac and if the missing patch is not a mistake, if this is how this particular jacket was meant to be (no patch) then I think leave it alone.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have one for sale?

XL or larger?

Jeff

Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 AM

I was surfing and came across this, says there was a version of the jacket with felt letters glued to the jacket which easily came off

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...ud/69j_00091_4

Is it possible these patchless jackets are that way because they are ones that originally had the felt letters which have since come off? I checked mine for any signs of glue residue, didn't notice any but maybe the glue that was used was cleaned off after the letters came off?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
Anyone have one for sale?

XL or larger?

Jeff
not am XL...but a medium. I'd consider selling it for @ $500. It has never been worn, but has no packaging. Says "GTO"...mind you. Food for thought. Ron