Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Summit Systems w. mufflers ... any good?

Any reason to avoid the Summit Header-back systems? I want to replace a "muffler shop" system with 2-1/4" tailpipes and crimped bends on my '71 GTO. The mufflers are two chamber Flowmasters that are really loud and have an annoying "glass pack" rasp to them when I put my foot in it. I wanted to start from scratch with a set of quieter turbos and a 2-1/2" full system. The Summit system looks like a steal at $199 w. mufflers. Do the tailpipes exit as stock through the cutouts in the rear valance panel? Anyone have any experience with this system and how is the tone of the mufflers? I like the FM's sound at idle but they're just too damn loud an the gas and buzz the interior like crazy at cruise.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Testing 123 ... is this mike on? No one has tried a Summit exhaust system?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have removed those systems and installed Pypes on a couple of cars. Generic tailpipes, do not exit in the right spot at all, incorrect bends cause the tails to hang much lower than needed on a 70-71 to exit at the valance. Not recommended.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My summit set up is on a '69 GTO, so I cannot comment on if the exhaust exits correctly with a '70-'72 rear valance with cut outs. However, if you have headers, this system will be a piece of cake to install. The system fits fine on my '69. It is not real loud, but it isn't quiet either. They do not have a "drone" like some flowmasters seem to have. The interior noise is not bad. I think they sound really good.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Keep the system you have and just change the mufflers.

Standard bend 2.25" tailpipes are fine. There is no need for 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes unless your running full throttle at the track and want every last 100th of a second advantage.

Tom Hand's testing showed this.

Larger tailpipes may actually hurt exhaust velocity and combustion chamber scavenging as well as make the car louder.

John

Last edited by Laguna454s3; 12-02-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smaller tailpipes do slow a car down not by hundreds but by tenths if the engine in question needs the diameter.Don't believe the baloney about smaller pipes may help blah blah.Just remember this >too small of exhaust chokes too big of exhaust is overkill but will not hurt performance.I'd put a good mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch exhaust on it.