Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

in 70-71 the lemans sport was just the continuation of the earlier lemans line. the lemans was in 69 and earlier the top trim level but in 70 they bumped it down one notch and made the lemans sport the top trim. what it amounted to was the exterior molding group and a fancier interior with either buckets or a bench with an armrest.

if you ordered an automatic without also ordering a console you got a column shift since gm back then did not have a non console floor shift automatic like ford did.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 12-17-2009, 08:08 PM

I researched this topic when I discovered mine For Sale.
I love my "Sport" People seem to dig it every where I take it.

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
http://www.facebook.com/MikeCio1
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

The 'sport' was really a trim level, not a performance package. Here's some info for 70-72 from Wikipedia:

"For 1970, ... LeMans nameplate downgraded to the mid-line sub-series previously known as the Tempest Custom [aka Custom S] and included two and four-door pillared sedans, while the previous top-shelf LeMans series was renamed the LeMans Sport in the same three body styles including a four-door hardtop sedan, two-door hardtop coupe and convertible."

"In 1971, the Tempest nameplate was completely retired ... At the bottom of the line was the Pontiac T-37, previously known as the Tempest."

For 1972, all Pontiac intermediates were now LeMans models and the low-priced T-37 line was replaced by a stripped LeMans pillared coupe. The top-line intermediate was the Luxury LeMans, available in hardtop sedan and coupe models, featuring plusher interiors than regular LeMans models. The LeMans Sport was available as a two-door hardtop or convertible featuring Strato bucket seats and plush interior fittings from the Luxury LeMans."

So, there were 4 door LM Sports for 70-71 only.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks , lots of good information . Haven't heard back on my offer on the car yet but maybe over the weekend I will.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to firebiird Send a message via Yahoo to firebiird

thanks for all the great responses, since the sport is nothing special i dont feel bad about removing the badge

Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you are racing the regular front end was lighter, forget how much, my lemans sport also has a fiberglass nose on it, don't know how uncommon that is.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:42 PM

The glass nose was in '71. In '72 the nose was made of metal and had an arrowhead emblem in the middle of it.

I have a '71 Sport w/the metal bumper as well as a couple of endura cars and really like the way the chrome bumper cars look too.

As others have said, if you want to swap the nose a donor car will save a lot of hassle.

The endura cars had major issues w/rust in those hoods, especially in front of the scoops. They just held moisture there and even in nice climates could rust out.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe for 1970 a dual exhaust was also included in the Sport package regardless of engine.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-27-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebiird View Post
thanks for all the great responses, since the sport is nothing special i dont feel bad about removing the badge
Nothing Special? I didnt get that out of this thread?

Maybe you could just hack it up into another GTO clone...

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
Old 12-27-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I believe for 1970 a dual exhaust was also included in the Sport package regardless of engine.
mmmm. Mine has dual exhaust and I always thought someone had added it. Interesting.

www.fquick.com/mikecio1