Old 11-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All of these things mentioned I, believe are very correct. However, maybe the people responsible for designing these cars had a great sense of humor. Could it be probable, that they knew decades later a bunch of people would need a money pit to feed?

Maybe the people working on the line knew that we'd be protecting their chalk marks trying to fine where they hid the broadcast sheet, and all those other things we now search for. Kind of like some of the silly way we do things when we're restoring the same cars. They do have a real beauty about them though. One, that will turn my head fast enough to to get scolded. As in Hey mister. keep yer eyes on the road.

You know your owned by Pontiac, when you don't notice the ladies as much as an old Pontiac that looks in need of a better home.

Good day friends.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR67GTO View Post
All of these things mentioned I, believe are very correct. However, maybe the people responsible for designing these cars had a great sense of humor. Could it be probable, that they knew decades later a bunch of people would need a money pit to feed?

Maybe the people working on the line knew that we'd be protecting their chalk marks trying to fine where they hid the broadcast sheet, and all those other things we now search for. Kind of like some of the silly way we do things when we're restoring the same cars. They do have a real beauty about them though. One, that will turn my head fast enough to to get scolded. As in Hey mister. keep yer eyes on the road.

You know your owned by Pontiac, when you don't notice the ladies as much as an old Pontiac that looks in need of a better home.

Good day friends.
Now that's funny!

Sad thing is...it's also true.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with the rear tail panel on a 67 GTO, rear window design, and most puzzling is why on earth would a company allow a 400HO car be ordered w/ 4 wheel manual drum brakes! Yikes, fun times ahead, and I know they make disc brake set ups to change them over, but I hate to modify a completely original car. irgoatmike

Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Vid is gone Keith
Yeah, not sure what happened there. It's gone from YouTube and from the internal locations (...hopefully I didn't cause that!).

I hate for you guys to miss it; if I ever see it or one like it again I'll link it up.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yeah, not sure what happened there. It's gone from YouTube and from the internal locations (...hopefully I didn't cause that!).

I hate for you guys to miss it; if I ever see it or one like it again I'll link it up.

K
Please do Keith. I really like production videos

Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

K
YouTube says..."This video has been removed by the user." If you still have it you might need to reupload it Keith..... if you originally uploaded it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
What makes you scratch your head and think, even with the lack of technology they had 44 years ago, what were the engineers thinking??

Cosmetically, the stupid fins on the front fenders of my LeMans. They're pointless and look stupid. Im sure there are a few mechanical flaws but I cant think of one at the moment.
I like 'em...feels like I'm ridin' inside a paper airplane!!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Cosmetically, the stupid fins on the front fenders of my LeMans. They're pointless and look stupid.
Paul, those "fins" are there for a very good reason. Same for the slits in the 67's rear quarters. Reason is so that you know it's a LeMans looking at it from the sides, and not a GTO. Think about it. An ex dealer from back then told me..... they're just a little variation so you can tell the difference between the models from the sides.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tell them apart by the GTO emblems on the front fender and rear 1/4.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Paul, those "fins" are there for a very good reason. Same for the slits in the 67's rear quarters. Reason is so that you know it's a LeMans looking at it from the sides, and not a GTO. Think about it. An ex dealer from back then told me..... they're just a little variation so you can tell the difference between the models from the sides.
I can see the point Gary, but the cosmetics differences on the sides are enough without adding those fins. The rear qtr and front fender chrome extensions and like Goatman said, those big ol' tteres o nthe rear qtr that say LeMans or GTO should be enough.

Look close at the pic in my sig. I added everything but the hood at this point. But it still says Lemans. Always will

Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul, back in 73 I added the GTO grills, pk/sig lights, and hood to my 66 Tempest. Looked very nice like yours does and I god a lot of complement on it. When I swapped it, like an idiot, it didn't sit on the dealers lot for long. Don't be afraid to add a GTO hood. I've also seen 65 Lemans' with GTO hoods. It gives em a bit of pizazz.

But it's your car.....you do as you want. Don't be afraid of what others think.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It will get a GTO hood with a hood tach sometime in the future. I love that look. Just no funding for it right now.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just no funding for it right now.
Do not feel bad Paul... I'm in the same boat as you.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Planned obsolescence...these cars were designed to last 7-8 years at most.

There were also cost and process constraints as well.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 PM

In my opinion, the most stupid design flaw of any A body car is the narrow rear wheel well area. Really, anything over a 7" wheel won't fit in the well safely. If you go with an 8" wheel, you have to jack it up. You'd think in an era where drag racing ruled supreme, they would have narrowed the frame a little more to stuff a wider wheel/tire combo in there. It wasn't like they didn't have enough room!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Just replaced one of the trunk springs on my '67, took three guys to push that spring into place. Good lord.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you make one of those funny little trunk rod tools shown in the service manual you can change/adjust the rods by yourself.
They sure can be a real PITA without it.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll tell you a good thing/bad thing. 67 Tempest, LeMans, GTO have a four point seatbelt / shoulder belt system right?? Did you know that some if not all 66's do too. Take down the headliner where the "B" pillar is on a sedan or pretend where it should be on a coupe and you will find the welded in nut in the roof section. So you can put a three or four point system in a 66. I guess it just cost too much to do the 66's. and of course for 67 it's the law, they must have known about the law when the 66/67 body was designed, but decided not to protect the driver of a 66 because it wasn't the law yet.
Back there in the thread about those funny little gills on the LeMans. They were originally there to distinguish it from a Tempest & a GTO. Just like the gills on the 65-67 Catalina 2+2 from a regular Catalina or the stars on every Star Chief ect.

Don