THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother in law is a coin nut so I sent him your info.

His reply:
Continental Dollar (pewter was the standard)

Looks like another cast white metal (pewter copy) (brass? Not based on what I see) details look kind of mushy. Very common copied coin, been done several 100 times in over 200 years with varying degrees of quality.

Your comment;
originally leaded of sorts on the edges so they should write like a pencil and it does…

this tells me if edge has a lead seam then it’s a electro type (done 100 years ago). Mold of original to created shell then they fill with lead, and the seam will show. Nice electro types could be worth around $200, but yours doesn’t have sharp quality.

Don’t get your hopes to high but do get it checked.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you are near Lexington, there are dealers there:

http://rarecoingallery.com/

http://www.jkerncoins.com/

Old 03-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Just called Heritage Auctions and am awaiting a return phone call.
I asked about getting it authenticated. They in turn wanted some pictures. I sent them and am awaiting a return phone call.

Of course, this will really need to be done in person.

I don't have my hopes up. My friend sure could use the money though.
I wouldn't mind making some, but it is what it is.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVGTO View Post
Just called Heritage Auctions and am awaiting a return phone call.
I asked about getting it authenticated. They in turn wanted some pictures. I sent them and am awaiting a return phone call.

Of course, this will really need to be done in person.

I don't have my hopes up. My friend sure could use the money though.
I wouldn't mind making some, but it is what it is.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Heritage is the best auction for selling rare coins. If it's real, you'll get top dollar for your coin.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said above.If in the advent it is real,and you don't know coins as well as dealers,take it to a dealer and have him send it to P.C.G.S. Think of it this way.the dealers do know coins and some are very good at authentication.If one dealer determines that it is real,is he really going to be honest about it's authenticity? Maybe.but when it comes to BIG MONEY,if it is real,trust no one!!! If he offers to buy it,especially
If it is real,Heritage Auctions do cater to rich collectors,but P.C.G.S. is the most trusted grader,period.
One additional pint,Heritage takes a %.OK,that's cool.But the dealeers buy coins at wholesale prices,not retail. They have a separate pricing sheet that is sent to them every month.I recall it's called the GREY Sheet,usually about 65% less than the retail Blue sheet,I may have the colors reversed,but the info is correct !!! LOL Larry B.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
Like I said above.If in the advent it is real,and you don't know coins as well as dealers,take it to a dealer and have him send it to P.C.G.S. Think of it this way.the dealers do know coins and some are very good at authentication.If one dealer determines that it is real,is he really going to be honest about it's authenticity? Maybe.but when it comes to BIG MONEY,if it is real,trust no one!!! If he offers to buy it,especially
If it is real,Heritage Auctions do cater to rich collectors,but P.C.G.S. is the most trusted grader,period.
One additional pint,Heritage takes a %.OK,that's cool.But the dealeers buy coins at wholesale prices,not retail. They have a separate pricing sheet that is sent to them every month.I recall it's called the GREY Sheet,usually about 65% less than the retail Blue sheet,I may have the colors reversed,but the info is correct !!! LOL Larry B.
Heritage sells all types of collectibles for its consigners. I have sold some baseball collectibles through them. They charge a 15% consigner's fee, but I asked for and received a 10% fee! So...they get 10% while you can keep 90% of your final bid winnings.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:35 PM

I sent the pictures I had of it to a Heritage Representative, he emailed me back today and said the coin looks to be a fake.

My friend is persistent on taking it to a professional in person. From what I've read a real one weighs around 26 grams and fakes 18 or less.

He's weighing it this evening and gonna let me know, but I'm figuring it's a fake.

He still want's me to loan him money though. I told him we are gonna have to make absolutely sure it's real before I will loan anything and then it has to be in writing.

He's the one with his hopes up. I figure if it is, Nice, but if not oh well.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would NOT send it anywhere, if any authenticating to be done , be present, in case it IS the right coin ,you dont want a copy back!

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By comparing the back of your coin to a picture of one in the 2010 Red Book there is a difference.
The lettering is not in the same position on your coin. I am not saying that it is a fake for sure, just stating my opinion.
It would be great if it were real but, I don't think it is.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If Heritage says it's a fake, it's a fake.