Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default auto trans cable problems

I am trying to hook up new G.M. cable(bought new in package from an acquaintance,was told its for a 69 GTO,but not 100% positive,cable is approx 30"long)to a turbo 400 of unknown origin(is correct BOP case,not sure what it came out of),being connected to a used shifter,tried two brackets with same result(ames repop,and a B&M)seems like cable is too short.Once i get bolts started to attach to pan,there is ALOT of pressure exerted because of the angle the cable comes into the bracket.Does anyone know if there are spacers that go under the bracket?Anybody have an idea how long an original shifter cable is?Compared new cable to the one that was attached to the shifter,was an exact match visually.(then,of course,promptly threw the old one away,as I wanted to use the new one!)Almost seems like if I could move my shifter forward about 1/2",the problem would be solved.There must be a trick to hooking this thing up,anybody have any ideas?Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket cable/bracket kits out there that would work with a stock shifter?Any help greatly appreciated.thanks.