Old 04-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default brand-new leaking radiator

Just getting ready to start my 69 gto for the first time,decide to dump in a gallon of water first in case there are leaks(self-fulfilling prophecy?)naturally i've got a major radiator leak at the bottom(about an inch up from the bottom and dead-center width-wise).Problem is two-fold:#1:I purchased it over a year ago from Summit,so any warranty is expired,I'm sure,and #2:I had some brackets welded on it for mounting(nowhere near the leak)but the point is,I own it,there is no returning it.So here are my questions:What is the best way to have it repaired?Or is it junk?Leak is a pretty good size hole,probably an 1/8-1/4"(I haven't taken it out yet).If i have it repaired,how much cooling efficiency will I lose?Warmed-over 400+(71 400 .0030 over,Howards cam(summit 2801 knock-off)#96 heads so comp.is probably about 8.5:1) with AT,AC and 3.23 gears,if that helps.Am planning on running an 18",non-clutch fan and a shroud.Any advice very much appreciated.Thanks.

Craig.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've repaired 1/8 inch holes in aluminum radiators with JB weld. The one I did in 2000 and it was still holding in 2008 with over 80,000 miles on it when the car went to the junkyard. The car was hit in the front and one of the tubes was punctured. I was pretty strapped for cash at the time so I decided to try repairing it myself.

Make sure the area is clean and dry and rough it up with some sandpaper then I spray it with brakleen and let it dry and put the JB on. I left it setup for 24 hours before I refilled the cooling system. I made sure that some of the JB got pushed into the hole so it got a good hold on the tube. The car had A/C and I was living in Memphis at the time so it got tested under pretty harsh conditions. I don't believe I lost much efficiency because the tube was still flowing coolant through, possibly a little fin area was sacrificed, I would do it again if I needed to without any hesitation at all.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you call Summit and ask any questions? If it is unused and leaks they should do something.