Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default PTFB Comp A-Arms

What does PTFB use for bushings in their comp tubular A-arms? The website shows "bronze thrust washers" and "greaseable solid pivots". I understand the thrust washers but there is no explanation of the what makes up the solid pivots.

I'm thinking they would work well with a set of tall ball joints and my 1LE brakes.

Thanx, Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 06-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't tell what's on the inside or if the tubing just rides on the crossarm shaft.Here's a picture if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0311.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	210467  

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Can't tell what's on the inside or if the tubing just rides on the crossarm shaft.Here's a picture if that helps.
Thanx Skip. It does look like there might be something like a nylon/delrin/HDPP bushing between the shaft and the arm. I'll be giving them a call.

Did you have any problems with the fit or quality of the arms? Everything I've found so far says they fit pretty well.

Thanx again for the pic.

Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 06-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fit was good. I think the newer ones he's added a bump stop brace. The only problem I had was the 6 cylinder springs I was using(same as on my TA) were too long to get the spindle bolted to the upper ball joint. And of course I couldn't find a decent spring compressor that wouldn't jump off . Not sure if it was the arm not dropping eough or just teh springs.

Dave has some good pieces at decent prices, he's been around the circle track folks is why. Got some good new brake kits using 1LE rotors and big Wilwood caliper too.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Fit was good. I think the newer ones he's added a bump stop brace. The only problem I had was the 6 cylinder springs I was using(same as on my TA) were too long to get the spindle bolted to the upper ball joint. And of course I couldn't find a decent spring compressor that wouldn't jump off . Not sure if it was the arm not dropping eough or just teh springs.

Dave has some good pieces at decent prices, he's been around the circle track folks is why. Got some good new brake kits using 1LE rotors and big Wilwood caliper too.
Thanx for the feedback. I'm going to have to cut my springs to get proper ride height with all the weight removal but that shouldn't cause a problem.

I've looked at the brake kits but I'd already sourced my new spindles, rotors and calipers. I should have equally as good brakes as with the Wilwood two piston calipers and you can't tell it from stock unless you've got the eyes of a hawk. I like that.

Stewart

Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 PM

I have a set of Dave's arms and I believe they are a steel on steel close tolerence bearing, so no sort of medium plastic bearing spacer in there. It has been a style used by stock cars for many years, you just have to keep them lubed.

Skip I think you are right, his new ones bo have a droop bushing on the middle cross shaft, wish mine had that! Might have to call Dave about that.

I think PTFB also has taller balljoint option.