Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front wheel stud, can't get lug nut off

Been changing wheels for the past 30 years, probably between 2 sets of wheels I have 4 times a year on my car, never had this happen before.

Front wheel discs...I go to take the lug nuts off, like I've done dozens of times before, one nut is hard coming out. It gets harder and harder to turn, then it gets easy. Sure enough, it's stuck on the stud, the stud must be spinning on the disc rotor.

How do get this wheel nut off? The other nuts are off, this one is jammed on the stud, the stud is turning on the rotor. I've never had this happen before!

Help!

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

cutting wheel and a steady hand.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Posted this in the Street Section too, hoping to get more responses (and it did).

Going to try drilling the center of the lug nut and stud as far as I can go, then I'll slip a socket over the nut, and (hopefully) break the stud. Will report back soon....

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just had this happen on all of the studs on one wheel! Started to blue the bearing as well.
I resorted to an impact wrench as suggested here. I posted for some help too.
I ran the impact while tilting the stud. I tried everything...b4 that..
It did work.. but man did it wreck the lug nuts. I did scratch the rim a little around the stud too. one was really tough to get off I had to go forward and backwards on it.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it folks. I drilled a fairly small 3/16" hole through the lug nut (these are standard acorn style nuts, not my good Rally II lug nuts), then went through to the stud. Had to hold the nut with a 7/8" wrench while drilling so the nut wouldn't spin. Then went in about 1/2" into the stud. Didn't take long at all.

Then put a socket over the lug nut nut, a long 18" extension, lifted up, and the stud broke off.

Now I have to get the rotor off and see how to fix this bad stud.

Do they make studs that are slightly oversized to press into the rotor, but with the standard thread for a lug nut? Really hate to have anything welded, seems like it would throw off the balance?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, just tighten the new stud and nut on a wheel and tack weld it 2 or 3 places to the rotor and you won't have to worry about it happening again. I have done it many times on rotors and brake drums that wouldn't hold a new stud because of an oversized hole. No worry about that small amount of weld affecting the balance of the rotor.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated