Old 06-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default Interesting tranny issue.

Okay, trying to figure this out. Drove to work last night in the '62 and shifted fine all night. This morning, started fine, went into gear, and the tranny almost immediately shifted into second at 5mph. Had to manually shift all the way home. A couple times when it was in drive and I stopped at a traffic light or sign,it was still in second gear.I adjusted the linkage a little and took it for a spin again. had great acceleration and shifted normal for about three blocks. then it did it again. Parked again, fooled with the rods again, and again, it was great, then again it would shift too soon and not downshift. I rebuilt the tranny about two years ago so gunky valve body shouldn't be a factor. My '62 is running the '61 rod linkage versus the norm '62 cable.

The vacuum modulator is NOS when I rebuilt the tranny and doesn't seem to be leaking or sucking fluid, but my only other guess would be sticking valves in the valvebody? Any thoughts with out testing TV pressure and othe pressure tests? Never had this problem before on this car. The yellow convertible did, but it's TV cable was broken completely. Thanks!

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Possibly the adjustment for the TV on the valve body has come loose inside the pan??

POCI.org
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If everything checks out, check the governor. It may look fine. I had a Corvair that would not upshift and the gov looked perfect. Changed it and everything was fine.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Possibly the adjustment for the TV on the valve body has come loose inside the pan??
I fear the same, Keith. Not like it is a big deal to remove the pan, just been lazy with the heat and without access to a lift.

Stevep, I was thinking of the governor as well, as it being sporatic and all.

I appreciate the thoughts!! I'll see if I can dig into it this weekend to figure it out.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

azkeebler - was it the governor? I have the same problem with my 62 Tempest.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

Default Not confirmed diagnosis

Unfortunately, I have not evaluated the problem much more. The last time it did it to me , I went to turn around to park it at work and have it towed home, I gave it a hard acceleration and it shifted. I drove it home without incident. I have only driven it twice since the problem occured, and each time it has driven and shifted fine. I was a pint or two low on fluid, but being low on fluid usually has a jumping out of gear symptom. I replaced the modulator and it has been shifting fine once I readjusted my tv rods.

Been busy moving friends and ourselves lately , and just haven't had time to dig into any of my lil indians.