Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Default 1964 "B" Body Straight 6 Engines

Good Day Guys,

Anyone out there have any experience with the large Pontiacs of 1964, but made with the straight 6 engine...?

The Parisienne model we have here came with a 230 CID straight 6, and after restoration, it still hesitates / bogs a bit under hard-throttle---if you "feather" the gas pedal, it's OK.

Not that we plan to straight race the thing, or anything(!), but it is annoying...and our mechanic says that that's just the nature of the beast for the time...the carb is getting too much gas under hard acceleration, he says, & the answer is to either install a 2 barrel carb, or have an outboard fuel pump regulating the fuel flow ahead of the carb.

Any thoughts / real-world experience in this regard? Hell, I don't even know if the 230 L6 was even available outside of Canada back then...!

Thanks in advance,

Eddy
Ontario, CANADA

Old 10-10-2010, 10:00 AM

The Chevy engine is specific to Canada cars. If you're feathering the throttle to make it run the carb's runnin lean. Probably a power valve issue or a vaccum leak..

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Mike on a vaccum leak.
check the bolts that hold the carb down. I was driving my father in laws 74 monte carllo when it would not run. It would idle ok but as soon as you pressed on the gas peddle it just sucked air and did nothing. Well the bolts were loose. Bob tightened the bolts on the carb to the manifold and all was good again.

patrick
ps how about some pictures EH? lol

Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Two words: Chain fall!

Yank that six and put in a proper American V-8, Chevy or Pontiac.

Your HP to Wt. ratio with the 230 is over 35:1... makes a Prius seem like a Pro Stock.

Seriously, though, the engine bogs because it does not have enough torque to master the situation. It doesn't have any torque because it doesn't burn enough fuel. I don't know if jetting your Rochester will help, but you could try. There are a lot of people who blueprint them for specific racing classes, might have some good ideas how to give your carb some more oomph.

Also, check for vacuum leaks, proper distributor curve, and the automatic kickdown, such as it is in a Powerglide equipped car.

What you describe sounds like a lean bog caused by not enough venturi area and not enough accelerator pump shot to get you over the sudden demand situation.

You might look at 230 250 Chevy accessory intake manifolds, and find one that will take a 350 cfm Holley 2V, which is really a sweet little carb for smaller engines when tuned right.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Default 1964 PONTIAC Straight 6 Engines

Hi All,

Many thanks for all of the feedback I've received from everyone re. my bogging straight 6 Pontiac engine...

Yeah, a 230 CID powerplant inside a 2 ton behemoth like the Parisienne seems absolutely crazy to-day, doesn't it...? Especially when the owner's manual says that would-be Parisienne owners back then had their choice of either a 230 engine, a 283, a 327, all the way up to a 409---with dual 4-bbl carbs!

I still do not have the car back from the mechanic's place yet, but will certainly advise him of the potential vacuum leaks in the carb area everyone has mentioned to me so far...

Thanks again---whenever I get the ride home, I'll be sure to post lotsa epix here for benefit of everyone south of the border, just so that you all might see what a "...Canadian Pontiac" looks like! :>)

Eddy
Ontario, CANADA

Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop Man View Post
You might look at 230 250 Chevy accessory intake manifolds, and find one that will take a 350 cfm Holley 2V, which is really a sweet little carb for smaller engines when tuned right.

Good luck!
Or get a 4V intake! Another interesting setup is 3-1V carbs. A real pain to keep in tune.