Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

Default High Blood pressure

Are there any tricks to getting it to go down. I think I will be seeing a doctor soon about this. I was just wondering if someone had dealt with this at one time. Any I deas?

Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Run-jog-walk 1 or 2 miles a few times a week. Start the day off with a tall glass of water, drink water through out the day. Omega 3 fish oil gel capsules and vitamin B-100 multi- vitamin. Eat healthy, try to eat 51% raw foods, not raw meat LOL!

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 11-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Chief

regular exercise, make sure you are not overwieght even a few xtra can make a difference.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 PM

The others are right, exercise and eat right and you can usually bring it down. Sometimes it's just genetics - mine just naturally runs higher than most. Taking the medication is a PITA, but I have to do it.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

what kind of meds?

Old 11-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Coreg, Clonidine You pretty much have to take them on a with food.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cut down on salt. Not just the salt you put on your food. a lot of food already has loads of salt(sodium) right from the start. Ham is loaded with salt.
Smoking will raise your pressure too.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do some research on Paleo diet, & Robb Wolf, it will change your life! Has mine!

1965 GTO hard top, Black with a red interior built to drive and Race best so far 1.45 60’ 8.77@164mph . 6 Speed manual transmission. MS3pro Fuel injection Multiport , 517cubes 10 to 1, 3.50 gears, CNC E-heads wideport 350CFM by Dave B. 4025lbs with driver!!94mm turbo. Winner of the Hot Rod Dragweek stick shoot out 2017!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As said the omega 3 fish oil
lots of blueberries

Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My doctor wanted to put me on medication a few years back. I won't take medicine! I told him I'd do it on my own.
I watched my salt intake. I also started eating fresh garlic. I'd chew on a couple cloves a day. I went back to my doctor 3 months later and my BP went from 210/100 to 160/70. He asked ME how I did it.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chewing on 2 cloves of garlic a day nobody worth getting your pressure up will get near you.LOL

Old 11-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can try all the other stuff mentioned,but there is no guarantee any of them will actually get your BP to a manageable level,if/when that is the case,I would advise biting the bullet,and just take the meds,they are'nt nearly as bad as what might happen if you dont.

I take clonidine and lisonopril,have been for well over a decade now,everyday.

Your doctor will work with you to find what meds best control your specific problem areas.

He'll probably start you on HCTZ,which is a diuretic (water pills),you may or may not like those,they make you pee a lot to rid the body of excess water build-up.

Often HCTZ is used in combination with another medication like an ACE inhibitor (ex: lisonpril).

The HCTZ did'nt do much to help control my BP,and I did'nt much care for that medication either,so I wound up on clonidine and Lisinopril instead.

I also used to take a baby dose of a beta blocker too (metoprolol),but my new doctor felt they were'nt really needed or doing much,so we dropped those and adjusted the dosage of the other two to account for that,which I was fine with,as those kinda make strenuous excersise/activities a bit harder to do as it kinda holds back one's heart rate.

Anyhow,get the BP under control by any/all means possible,your life depends on it.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to an an endocrinologist and get their recommendations and have the necessary testing done to pinpoint the cause, hypertension messes your kidneys and liver as well as a lot of other organs in your body and is not to be taken lightly. I have it and I have an adrenal tumor that screws up my hormone production and metering of the proper hormones into the blood stream. All the above home remedies won't do anything for a problem such as I have. If I hadn't went to a good endocrinologist I would not have found the problem and lowered my BP and seriously shortened my life. It's not something to do home remedies with if you don't know the cause of it. I take 2 pills a day for my BP and it's no worse than taking a couple aspirin for a headache. My wife is a RN and also was a dialysis nurse for 5 years, she sees and has seen the damage hypertension can do when not controlled.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My arteries are so clogged up that my blood pressure has to be high in order to push the blood around my body! Maybe I'll opt for the "high volume" heart over the "high pressure" heart, LOL!

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to warriors revenge

here are several things that WILL help with your high blood pressure. i work with alot of people who have high blood pressure, and have had excellent results

http://www.marketamerica.com/topprod...tonix-opc3.htm

http://www.marketamerica.com/sku-138..._vitamin_e.htm

you can goto www.marketamericascience.com and look at all the info. on OPC-3 and Omega 3 (omega 3 will lower your C-Reactive Protein)
give me a call if you want and i can talk more to you about products.
kal
262-968-2514
414-801-0297 cell
goto my webportal, register as a preferred customer and earn cash back on anything you purchase!!
www.marketamerica.com/kaldude

Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

I started to have trouble thinking,writing things down and would get mad and let things get to me too easily....ended up being high blood pressure.I ended up going to a Doctor and found out it was Genetics and have been taking the medications for about 3 years now.Its not that bad,1 small pill in the morning and its the size of a baby apirin!Don't keep trying home remedies and keep from seeing a Doctor,they can check You out better and evaluate Your health condition...sure cutting down on salt and exercise will help put anyone in better shape but You need to have a Professional check You out.Since I've been on high blood pressure medicine I don't have the severe headaches like I use to have and I feel much better too!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can try all the homeopathic meds that you like and the people that sell them will be extremely happy to take your money because they don't have a thing to lose. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT HAS MUCH TO LOSE, YOUR LIFE !!!!

My own experience with hypertension and my wife's experience in the medical field bear this out, so please find out the cause instead of playing a high stakes guessing game. This is something that needs to be taken care of sooner, not later as damage is being done each day it is not controlled. If homeopathic meds will work to lower it that's fine, but find out the cause as not everyone has the same causes for hypertension.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed.
If you do plan on trying to lower it yourself,still check in with your doctor,that is what I did.
In my case I told him I'd like to try and work at it myself for a few months,then come back and have it checked. On my follow up visit is when he noticed a significant drop in BP. He could not believe how much I dropped it on my own,and was very curious how I did it,but it took a lot of work watching what I eat also.
I don't like taking a med if I don't have to. In MY case I figure I'm better off eating right,and eating garlic (which worked great in my case),then I would if I ate like a pig and took a pill to compensate for it. So far it's worked for me.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.

Last edited by 67drake; 11-21-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had great BP readings all my life up to age 42. Now at age 45 I have not bothered to get my BP read because of the great confidence in my own BP through the years. Smart enough to know that hypertension and elevated BP ARE LIKELY part of my life these last 3 years. So I'm certainly a non-expert on this topic AS IS all others that read this THINKING they are just fine.

I think that any sort of difficulty with sleeping deeply through the night is a loud&clear indicator.
The occasional stiff back-or-neck muscle at sunrise is likely another indicator.
These 2 OPINIONs ought confirm my partially-to-mostly un-informed posture on this subject.
So, uhm I gotta go do something about it huh.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 11-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was 38 I was told I needed meds. I said no, cut down on salt, ate healthier foods, drink plenty of water, and found myslf a trainer to start working out with. I lost 40 lbs. and dropped my BP. 3 years later, I still feel great and still do not have to take meds. I still work out with a trainer and try to eat right for for the most part. It is a lifestyle change. Not something you do until you hit the goal and then stop. It's now a part of your daily life forever. Once you accept that, you'll be fine.