Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Block filling (dumb) question

Do you pour the filler through the water holes in the head surface of the block, or through the water pump holes in the front? Also, do you tilt the block back slightly so it runs to the back? First time for me, and I bought the P-Dude's filler

Thanks, Kenny

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 12-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most folks pour thru and fill up to bottom of the side freeze plugs unless you need to fill higher then its thru the deck holes, and eitheir way that cylinder bank needs to be level in both the horizontail and verticle plane.
Most engine stands are angled to the rear in the horizontial plane so you need to shim up the two rear wheels.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Will be completely filling the block, at least up to the bottom of the water pump holes

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Steve, when you said level both vertically and horizontally, did you mean have the deck surface facing up, and leveling that surface? Doing each side one at a time?

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 12-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyflier View Post
Will be completely filling the block, at least up to the bottom of the water pump holes
That's called "Half-Filled"

I use a cardboard-gutter to transfer the bottle-pour into the Front&Side&Rear Holes. Then I use a long stainless rod with a small washer screwed onto the end to push the cement along the Valley channel.

The Valley Channel is the tough one to see how it's going, so use a bright LED lamp stuck in your ballcap (Miner's helmet) to see in there.

NEVER poured thru the deck.
================================================== ==============
Someone give the right advice for installing LEAK-FREE Freeze plugs after this; he's gonna need to know.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I saw a thread on that subject a few days back, on the leak free freeze plugs

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 12-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So do you not completely fill the block if your not running alcohol? I still don't think I got my question answered after the first couple of responses. If the block is setting horizontally, do you just fill it to the bottom of the water pump holes? Car is na and not street driven. After the earlier responses, I think I just got more confused.

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 12-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Not a dumb question at all, you got great answers, i personally filled mine thru the soft plugs on the side of the block until it was even with the bottom of the water pump outlet holes. I am drilling my deck for extra water passages and filling one up. New expwerience for me, Hope it works as good as they say, been following the ideas here in the forums.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do one bank at a time, until is sets, then do the other bank.

Set the block up on the stand so the deck is level front to back and side to side. Pour in through the water pump hole at the front of the block. The warmer it is the easier the job is...in other words, you don't want to be pouring this stuff on a 35 degree day with a cold block. Dude's filler flows like maple syrup so as long as the block is clean (and it should be hot tanked prior to doing this) it should fill evenly front to back and side to side. If you want to get anal-retentive about it, you can rent one of those industrial vibrators (I think they use them in the concrete business) and hold it against the side of the block immediately after the pour to ensure the pour is even and free of air bubbles, but Dude's stuff pours so well it isn't really needed. You can bore the block prior to filling, but leave all final hone machining on the cylinders for AFTER the fill.

If you really want a full fill, place some duct tape across the bottom half of the water pump hole and fill to the top of the tape. After it sets/hardens, you can use a die grinder to cut some of it away from the hole, making it look like a "cascade" or "waterfall"...this way if using a water pump the hole is not as restrictive. I ran my 455 block like this in the Discomobile on gas with nitrous. This is obviously a race only fill.

On the street I have ran a 455 block that was filled to within 1/2" of the bottom of the water pump hole, on gas, driving it daily, with no adverse effects.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is RUMOR that the oil temp goes higher (40F or 50F above coolant temp)for half-filled blocks on the street, that do sustained highway driving.

Oil-heating mechanism: is the CYL oil has the heat and is scraped-down, yet only gets brief (nearly zero) contact time on the Block-side, then going into the sump. Showing PMD had water-jacket down there to transfer that heat out to coolant.

I would like to hear about that, in preference to arguing it down to oil is closer to Coolant level (which I doubt). Have a nice day. HIS

Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was told the same thing, Mark...but it was more about the filler covering the area adjacent to the oil galley in the block as the reason why oil temps would be higher. I ran a remote filter with a large capacity filter and although I don't know what the oil temp was, I never had any ill effects with the engine daily driving it for 18 months.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Dude's filler and it flows very nicely around the cylinders and vibrating the block isn't necessary. FYI, one tub just barely made it to the bottom of the lowest freeze plug hole so if you want to fill higher, get more than one tub. You need to make one pour per side to do it right, let it sit a day or so and then do the other side. If you were to fill completely I would tape off the holes on the deck and pour through the water pump holes with freeze plugs installed.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Make sure the deck of the bank you are filling is level, both forwards and side to side. Agood fill will even out. I pour thru the deck and water pump holes. Before mixing the epoxy, I block off all cylinders, and form little"funnels" in each water hole/deck hole I use.
This way it's a fast easy pour without spill mistakes form trying to move a funnel or other mishaps that can happen. Prepare prepare prepare, and the job will go smooth. I also only mix half of the epoxy (I do not use pull away from the cylinder walls concrete/grouts based junk that have different heat/cooling rates than the block) for the first bank so both will have the same amount when done.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a tranny funnel and fill from the back and front. I stick the funnel in a good ways so the inside middle gets fill. Filling that high it should flow around to the sides.

Race I install the center freeze plug and fill to the bottom of the outside freeze plugs.

If you gonna run 14-1 and make a lot of hp. then I will tape half way up the front WP holes and fill within about and 1" of the top.

If your worried about oil temps. Install an oil cooler like the BBC and 1 tons use for towing.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just used a small funnel and filled it through the leveled deck holes to the bottom of the water pump hole. It will take almost two tubs of Dude's filler to get there. You can wait till the one side sets up and do the other side in one afternoon. I only mixed part of it at a time. Dude's transmission funnel sounds like a good idea. It takes a while to fill it through the deck holes with a small funnel.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Someone needs to make a "sticky" with all these detailed Pontiac (some could apply to other makes) engine building mod's. I like to read all this stuff, I'm not a novice, nor am I a seasoned expert that does this work every day, Thank You Kenny for asking this question, good info.

Leave cam selection off the sticky though, please ...LOL

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...