Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I reset the light on mine with a paper clip. It's about the easiest thing you can do with a BMW.
And does every other owner do this?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, they pay the dealer to do it. A friend of a friend needed his BMW battery replaced and the dealer charged $600 to do it, including a new battery.

My dad's new wife had a Volvo sedan and while it was in for maintenance, the dealer told her it needed a new battery. My dad didn't like the price quote, so he advised her to take it somewhere else for a battery. The service mgr. heard this and told them it needed a VOLVO battery. None other will work.

This woman then bought a new 2006 Lexus LS 330?? The battery kept going dead when parked more than a day. It was because the interior lights wouldn't go out reliably when closing the doors. Problem was never resolved that I'm aware of. All newer GM cars automatically turn off accessories after awhile when the car is shut down.

From 2002 to 2008, my dad's Buick Park Avenue was parked in the same garage. It sat for weeks at a time, but always started. It's interesting that when they took a long trip, they always used the Buick.

Why do people buy these POS cars???

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
So they can brag about that $600 oil change.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Son #2 bought an '06 325i a few months ago, he loves it. Only issue he has had, was making an awful noise. He discovered was low on PS pump fluid. Didn't see evidence of any leak, added fluid, noise gone and he says the handling really improved. I just laughed. He isn't a car guy so I was proud he figured that out on his own.

I helped him find the procedure posted on-line for resetting the Oil Monitor after he changed the oil. It was kinda complicated, more so than the '08 Civic which is not so intuitive and a lot more complicated than the reset for the '04 GTP IMO.

He has some other service light on that he hasn't been able to figure out the reset for yet, I think requires a dealer visit.

I warned him that BMWs will be high cost to maintain. I tried to steer him to a BMW dealer to find a CPO to get some warranty but he wanted a man trans which is hard to find and found his at a CarMax, no warranty. I thought he paid way too much and the '06 is sorta an orphan, brand new E90 model but '07 became a 328i, '06 was only year for the 325i in the E90 model as I understand it.

I've been watching this thread. Near as I can tell there is nothing very special about changing out the battery in the '06 325i except for the tight access. There is a Battery Reset that needs to be done but even that is unclear whether the system can relearn on its own. Check this thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292200

But the dead dash makes me think something shorted when Sears installed the replacement. No mention that I saw that the dash should be affected. But given the tight access space, I could see where it would be easy to touch battery cables to stuff they shouldn't touch.

Will be anxious to hear the end of the story.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if im not doing the work only BMW would touch my car. they'll at least stay behind their work, but my BMW dealer is awesome, i dont know how the others are.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Son #2 bought an '06 325i a few months ago, he loves it. Only issue he has had, was making an awful noise. He discovered was low on PS pump fluid. Didn't see evidence of any leak, added fluid, noise gone and he says the handling really improved. I just laughed. He isn't a car guy so I was proud he figured that out on his own.

I helped him find the procedure posted on-line for resetting the Oil Monitor after he changed the oil. It was kinda complicated, more so than the '08 Civic which is not so intuitive and a lot more complicated than the reset for the '04 GTP IMO.

He has some other service light on that he hasn't been able to figure out the reset for yet, I think requires a dealer visit.

I warned him that BMWs will be high cost to maintain. I tried to steer him to a BMW dealer to find a CPO to get some warranty but he wanted a man trans which is hard to find and found his at a CarMax, no warranty. I thought he paid way too much and the '06 is sorta an orphan, brand new E90 model but '07 became a 328i, '06 was only year for the 325i in the E90 model as I understand it.

I've been watching this thread. Near as I can tell there is nothing very special about changing out the battery in the '06 325i except for the tight access. There is a Battery Reset that needs to be done but even that is unclear whether the system can relearn on its own. Check this thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292200

But the dead dash makes me think something shorted when Sears installed the replacement. No mention that I saw that the dash should be affected. But given the tight access space, I could see where it would be easy to touch battery cables to stuff they shouldn't touch.

Will be anxious to hear the end of the story.
Well here ya go. Tried to post this yest. morn. but had puter prob....>she got it to a local shop Tue. afternoon(foreign car guru I've known for about 40 years) he laughed, put it on the?machine...10 min. later she's out the door with everything workingand a bill for $85. Told her to go to Sears and get her money! Much thanks for all your help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So what was the issue???? What did Sears do wrong or screw up? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No, they pay the dealer to do it. A friend of a friend needed his BMW battery replaced and the dealer charged $600 to do it, including a new battery.

My dad's new wife had a Volvo sedan and while it was in for maintenance, the dealer told her it needed a new battery. My dad didn't like the price quote, so he advised her to take it somewhere else for a battery. The service mgr. heard this and told them it needed a VOLVO battery. None other will work.

This woman then bought a new 2006 Lexus LS 330?? The battery kept going dead when parked more than a day. It was because the interior lights wouldn't go out reliably when closing the doors. Problem was never resolved that I'm aware of. All newer GM cars automatically turn off accessories after awhile when the car is shut down.

From 2002 to 2008, my dad's Buick Park Avenue was parked in the same garage. It sat for weeks at a time, but always started. It's interesting that when they took a long trip, they always used the Buick.

whomever said that was was lying, I doubt the "dealer" said it..someone at the dealership did...MY Volvo doesnt need a Volvo battery....none of my Volvos ever did...they had them from the factory, yes......have had Volvos (544, 1800, 144, 145, 240, 245, 164, tp21,Laplander, 740,760,780, 850, S40, S70 since mid 60s......my dad was the original importer to the US then later a dealer...I ran his dealership 83-90.....
Cant even tell how which brand batteries I`ve had....currently my C70 has one from OReilly....

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The personnel at the dealer are the "dealer" to a customer. In this case, the customer was a woman 84 years old. When someone that works at the dealership where she bought the car tells her it needs a VOLVO battery, that's pretty convincing. To me, it's downright dishonest, especially when they double or triple the cost of whatever item is being replaced.

While Volvo would not officially approve of that kind of a scam, many car dealers do this kind of thing----not only Volvo, but others as well. Many people believe they must have their dealer do all maintenance, including oil changes to maintain warranty. I've never heard a car dealer, snowmobile dealer, or boat dealer say anything to discourage this belief.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Our store

Quote:
The personnel at the dealer are the "dealer" to a customer. In this case, the customer was a woman 84 years old. When someone that works at the dealership where she bought the car tells her it needs a VOLVO battery, that's pretty convincing. To me, it's downright dishonest, especially when they double or triple the cost of whatever item is being replaced.

While Volvo would not officially approve of that kind of a scam, many car dealers do this kind of thing----not only Volvo, but others as well. Many people believe they must have their dealer do all maintenance, including oil changes to maintain warranty. I've never heard a car dealer, snowmobile dealer, or boat dealer say anything to discourage this belief.
Then you've never shopped our store. Although we do encourage service at our store, we never tell a customer they "have" to have their car serviced here.

Bjorn,

I copied the last two responses to this chain and gave them to our service mgr and told him THANKS for the kind of service dept he runs. I sell a ton of cars because of what they do.

Kenny

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyflier View Post
Then you've never shopped our store. Although we do encourage service at our store, we never tell a customer they "have" to have their car serviced here.

Bjorn,

I copied the last two responses to this chain and gave them to our service mgr and told him THANKS for the kind of service dept he runs. I sell a ton of cars because of what they do.

Kenny
Kenny, thanks.....
Yes I know of many dishonest dealers (dealerships)....for instance one Mazda dealer here in town (when I was a Mazda dealer too), that shall remain nameless, that reported all his cars sold when they werent, to profit from manufacturers incentives...he cashed them in....guess what..when the cars were reported sold , warranty starts to run....he was later selling cars one year old , with no warranty....he added his own aftermarket warranty ,that wasnt as good as the factorys...

we at our dealership never used such tactics, of course we wanted customers to come back...we did it a better way, we had 80% real Swedish Mechanics....they as we owners , could speak "volvo"...lol

Quote:

- Two optimists, the American, Leo Hirsh, and the Swede, Nils Sefeldt, decided to introduce Volvo Cars in the USA.
'Like selling refrigerators to Eskimos,' was the opinion of some.
http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/make...o_History.aspx

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6