Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Edlebrock IAS shocks good for launch?

I have Edlebrock IAS shocks on my 69 G.P. , they ride great on the street but is the way they work good or bad for launching a heavy car at the strip ? (1.60's 60ft)

From Edlebrocks site :

"Inertia Active System. This unique valve design senses changes in terrain and adjusts instantly for a better ride than you ever thought possible."

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...cks_main.shtml

Trying to grasp how compression and rebound work in a drag shock has me wondering about the valving technology in these street shocks ,is it working against me ?

Any one have any insight on this ?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

i have wondered the same thing, i had a pair of those on the rear of my 66 Lemans, along with cure ride 90/10's on the front, my best 60's to date is 1.72 with J-60-15 DOT's, 12.80 et's, i switch the rears for some CE 3 ways last october, but the track closed 2 weeks early, so i didn't get to try them out to compare. come April i will see if this makes a difference!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All I can really tell you is that until you've worked with a really good double adjustable shock (like AFCO,Strange,et-al),you never really realize how much room for improvement there is with most any/all of those other shocks,even the budget "drag" style shocks leave a whole lotta room for improvement.

Just understand that the really good DA shocks aint gonna be cheap either.

But ask anyone using them,and I'm sure they'll tell you that they're worth every penny.

Ask around,everyone has their favorite brands of these types of shocks,biggest seller would likely be the QA1 stuff simply because of sheer brand name recognition.

IMO Penske is top of the heap for this sorta product hands down,then comes the better brands like Santhuff,AFCO,or Strange.

And I feel AFCO has the best "bang for the buck",even though they aint the cheapest brand out there.

AFCO is especially popular w/guys that have a fairly heavy car that really lifts the front end up a lot,their BNC (big nose compression) DA shocks are about the best shock for the front of a nose heavy car that really hangs the front tires up there,the AFCO BNC shocks will soften the landing to save a fella from tearing a bunch of stuff up underneath the car.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.