Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Default Any value here ??

He Guys - I pulled apart a old 350 thats been sitting in the garage. I'm wondering if there is anything decent here and if anyone can help me ID the rods?

Here are the details:

Block '73 0.30 488986
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPAD 196.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	246857

Pistons - TRW L2339

Name:	iPAD 199.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	246858

Rods - no idea, smooth on the sides (I beam)???

Name:	iPAD 201.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	246864

Crank - 4813 "N"

Name:	iPAD 203.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	246868

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The crank is the nicest thing there, maybe worth $100-150 if in good shape. The block and pistons may be worth a hundred or so. The stock rods are good paperweights.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The real value would be in a decent +.030" 350 short block with forged pistons.

IIRC they (TRW/F-M) dont sell those L2339 350 forgings anymore...

Those 4813 N cranks are a dime a dozen,cant give those things away,even if they've been freshly machined you'll be lucky to get your money back for the machine work.

Those L2339 forgings have the most value that I can see,at least so long as they are in good useable shape.

The rods look to be some OE cast rods,so nothing exciting there @ all,but you may wanna look real closely at the heads of the rod bolts and see if they are stamped with ARP or SPS or such,as that would indicate that the rods were indeed re-sized and better than stock rod bolts were installed as well.

Hard to tell much about the block from the pics,but on the 350's it's kinda desireable to have the bore chamfers on both sides (some have both,or some have just the exhaust or just the intake chamfers,and some others will have no bore chamfers at all).

I'd probably do a quicky "refresh/rebuild" and run a ball hone thru the bores,clean everything up nicely,toss some new rings on the forged pistons,and throw some fresh bearings in it,and throw a summit 2801 cam/lifters in there along with a new timing chainset,and a fresh 60 psi oil pump,and put it all back together and sell it like that.

That or I'd just stick it under a bench in case I ever needed it someday down the road.

JMO

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

As Bret mentioned, Sealed Power no longer offers forged 350 pistons. To gauge the condition of the pistons, hopefully most of the knurling is still present on the piston skirts. They could still be in useable condition if the knurlling is worn. The condition of the ring lands is the next thing to look at.

Ace is the only known source for 350 forged pistons, at the moment.

Was this engine painted? on the inside??? the picture looks like it....

The 350 Pontiac market, is almost nonexistant, most folks can't give the stuff away.

Lots have built them, run them though. I have one in my car (for the moment).

If nothing looks out of line, I'd put it under the bench, for a spare, or whatever...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...