Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Senior Chief

Default info on vin plate needed-frame numbers? location?

i had heard that there was vin numbers stamped on the frames of the cars also. is this true? i heard it was in the rear probley drivers side and on top of the frame faceing the floor body. anyone shed some light here? year wise im talkin 64-67 gto

Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, you are correct in its location along side the fuel tank, driver side on top of the frame. Use a mirror after you cleanup this area and you should find the numbers you are looking for.

Tim john---

Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Senior Chief

thankyou, my memory worked for once,lol.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

I have found the frame manufacturer's name, date, and part number on the outside vertical frame rail between body bolt nos. 6 and 7 on the left side. These numbers would be visible with the body mounted to the frame.
However, the vin numbers are located mid-center on the top of the frame.
The following are for non-boxed (not convertibles) frames.

Per my notes, the Fremont frame had a single vin number stamped on "the left side of the frame rail on top of the outer edge just to the rear of the center bushing mount (body bolt no. 3) and vertical reinforcing plate." The stamping was on that narrow upper horizontal section of the frame rail.
For the Baltimore built car, the vin number was found in two locations stamped into the left side of the frame. The first stamping is located to the outside at body bolt no. 3 on the left side of the frame. The second was located to the outside at body bolt no. 4 on the left side of the frame.
All stampings were located on the narrow upper horizontal band of the frame rail. They were not stamped into the angled section of the frame rail. These stampings would not be visible with the use of a mirror, and would require the removal of the body to see. (Perhaps some of the new mini-micro cameras might permit viewing of these stampings without removal of the body).
Hope this is of assistance.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Senior Chief

thanks very much..apreciated!!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE 64 View Post
I have found the frame manufacturer's name, date, and part number on the outside vertical frame rail between body bolt nos. 6 and 7 on the left side. These numbers would be visible with the body mounted to the frame.
However, the vin numbers are located mid-center on the top of the frame.
The following are for non-boxed (not convertibles) frames.

Per my notes, the Fremont frame had a single vin number stamped on "the left side of the frame rail on top of the outer edge just to the rear of the center bushing mount (body bolt no. 3) and vertical reinforcing plate." The stamping was on that narrow upper horizontal section of the frame rail.
For the Baltimore built car, the vin number was found in two locations stamped into the left side of the frame. The first stamping is located to the outside at body bolt no. 3 on the left side of the frame. The second was located to the outside at body bolt no. 4 on the left side of the frame.
All stampings were located on the narrow upper horizontal band of the frame rail. They were not stamped into the angled section of the frame rail. These stampings would not be visible with the use of a mirror, and would require the removal of the body to see. (Perhaps some of the new mini-micro cameras might permit viewing of these stampings without removal of the body).
Hope this is of assistance.
Exactly where my VIN was stamped on the Fremont frame I had. Good info !

Old 07-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There were more than one suppler of frames . My Balto. car is a Parrish built frame . The mfg. marks and date code were on the right side aft the 5th. mount on the otter side rail. The vin# was top left side parallel to the tank.

I beleve there were A.O. SMITH frames also and Pontiac?