Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 AM

Default 11-Bolt WP Cast impeller to divider plate question

I bought a new GMB 11-bolt water pump (cast impeller) and brand new stamped steel divider plate. I am getting about .078" of impeller clearance w/o a gasket in between. Good enough or should I take the hammer to the plate? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Suspended

is there any way to carefully, after reviewing the physics of the operation, carefully press the impeller a little bit off its shaft to make it come closer to the plate.

seems it would be easier to do this than to beat heck out of the plate. and actually how much clearance cn you get from a bunch of dented up metal. Hope its not a stainless plate, cause youll be beatin it to deathe for ever.

try carefully pressing the inpeller off its shaft just a smidge. and make sure your suporting the shaft cause if you push the shaft around on the housing it will fail and leak in short order.

pressit off jst a bit and see where that gets you.

measure the gap. the thickness of the plate nd the thickness of the gaskets and press it off just a bit less than that total thickness and see if that gets you closer than the anvil and sledge routine.

if I'm wrong, sorry! at least the pump is under warrentee

Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To move the impeller closer to the plate use a 3 arm puller; perhaps you may need to put some holes into the impeller wheel to use it. Otherwise, you may damage the bearing/seal assy.

Undoubtedly, fitting the impeller is the best solution. "adjusting" the plate was my initial attempt to see if the excessive clearance was causing the issue in my case. When I change my timing cover in the future, I'll adjust the impeller.

George

Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM

Yep it looks like I'm able to slide the impeller closer to the plate using the three existing holes in the impeller Thanks for the help!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Suspended

what 'Three existing Holes in the impeller"? can you shot som pics for instructionl purposes?

Old 07-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
what 'Three existing Holes in the impeller"? can you shot som pics for instructionl purposes?
Visible in the pic on the left water pump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	249816  

Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Suspended

those are there from the factory, I have several and none have those hole

Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 AM

If you slide the impeller, you're just moving the gap from the back of the pump to the front. Not really gonna help your flow much.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Suspended

moving the impeller towad the plate to take up any tollerance in manufqacturing and the gaskets will improve the flow better than not doing it or beating the plate to make it fit the impeller.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:28 AM

I bought a PRW and it has the 3 holes. Will be a few months before I install.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might have to tap the 3 holes in order to use the bolts for the gearpuller.

Do not beat on the impeller if you pull it too far, as you will ruin the the ceramic seal. If you must tho make sure the end of the shaft is resting on a metal plate so it doesn't let the shaft move.

Just so you know. The bearings in the seal are also set into the pump shaft. There are 2 rows of bearing so there's no vibration or wobble in the shaft and also protects it form a small offset of the pump pulley and the alternator pulley. This info was from Cardone.... tho they said to never use anything to tap on the shaft. Tho Charles (Old Goat 67) has done it successfully. Like heim be very very careful.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.