THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default Props to my fellow Okies....and Ford I reckon ;)

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/built-fo...s-182-mph.html

182 mph — that’s how fast Hajek Motorsports and Ford Engineers got their 2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty to go. On its way to 182 mph, the 6.7-liter turbodiesel V-8-equipped F-250 set not one, not two, but three production truck land speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The three speed records that this lightly-modified F-250 broke were in the B Production Diesel Truck class, at the Bonneville Salt Flats. The truck broke the biodiesel record, using soy-based fuel by hitting 130.614 mph. The F-250’s second fastest record of the day was using regular diesel fuel, where it managed to hit 171.123 mph. The third and final record of the day was using B20 biodiesel, where the F-250 topped out at 182 mph. For comparison’s sake, the old record was set by a Duramax-equipped GMC Sierra HD, which only managed 166.850 mph

The most remarkable thing about the F-250’s speed is that it the truck remains mostly stock. Ford says that its engineers and Oklahoma-based Hajek Motorsports only installed a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new turbos, and modified the compression ratio. Aside from the performance modifications, the F-250 was also fitted with a roll cage, five-point harness, a drag chute, aerodynamic fairings for the front bumper, and the obligatory salt flat moon-dish wheels. The F-250’s drivetrain and transmission were stock.

http://hajekmotorsports.com/

Old 08-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that is amazing, i will say, that so far my new f350 4 x 4 dually has surprised me beyond belief. it is by far the most powerful dually i have owned. and what surprised me the most is the fuel mileage. i loaded my truck with a decent load and left for dallas with just a little over 1000 miles on the truck. i got to dallas and unloaded and then spent the next 3 days driving around dallas / ft. worth traffic and then came home. i was about a mile from my house and just couldnt believe the fuel mileage i got on the trip. it was a 560 mile trip and i averaged 16.3 mpg. i was so amazed that i took a picture because i knew nobody would believe it. i am averaging around 13.6 mpg here in town pulling around 15k loads. but since it only has a little less than 3k miles on it, i just hope it turns out to be a trouble free truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gary cell aug 20 2011 129.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	254561  

Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanksta View Post

182 mph — that’s how fast Hajek Motorsports and Ford Engineers got their 2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty to go. On its way to 182 mph, the 6.7-liter turbodiesel V-8-equipped F-250 set not one, not two, but three production truck land speed records at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The three speed records that this lightly-modified F-250 broke were in the B Production Diesel Truck class, at the Bonneville Salt Flats. The truck broke the biodiesel record, using soy-based fuel by hitting 130.614 mph. The F-250’s second fastest record of the day was using regular diesel fuel, where it managed to hit 171.123 mph. The third and final record of the day was using B20 biodiesel, where the F-250 topped out at 182 mph. For comparison’s sake, the old record was set by a Duramax-equipped GMC Sierra HD, which only managed 166.850 mph

The most remarkable thing about the F-250’s speed is that it the truck remains mostly stock. Ford says that its engineers and Oklahoma-based Hajek Motorsports only installed a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new turbos, and modified the compression ratio. Aside from the performance modifications, the F-250 was also fitted with a roll cage, five-point harness, a drag chute, aerodynamic fairings for the front bumper, and the obligatory salt flat moon-dish wheels. The F-250’s drivetrain and transmission were stock.

Thats ALL they did? LOl thats quite a bit. But Still dang good job for an AMERICAN built truck (And a Mexican built engine :P )

Old 08-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
...so far my new f350 4 x 4 dually has surprised me beyond belief. ...what surprised me the most is the fuel mileage. ...i am averaging around 13.6 mpg here in town pulling around 15k loads..
That speaks to me. Pretty darn good. HIS

Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Actally 174.586 mph

http://www.dieselbombers.com/street-...alt-flats.html

It is a 2005 GMC 2500HD 4x4 LLY Duramax with a single charger, stock injectors, and 2 CP3 pumps. It has factory AAM axles with 3.42 gears. No aero dynamics were done but a bed cover. Even the OnStar and XMradio antennas were present.Due to a lack of a parachute, running faster than 175mph is not permitted, so we cannot go too close to the limit.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Senior Chief

"only installed a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new turbos, and modified the compression ratio" - Mostly stock??????

and, it only made 8 MPH over a stock speed limited Duramax dually?

Dave B.

DJB_Rock_2005.jpg
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The most remarkable thing about the F-250’s speed is that it the truck remains mostly stock. Ford says that its engineers and Oklahoma-based Hajek Motorsports only installed a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel injectors, new turbos, and modified the compression ratio.
First and foremost, congrats to those guys, no matter how they got it!

Keep in mind, however, that Bonneville racing is about the last place the Smokey Yunicks of the motorsports world get to play. "Modifying the compression ratio" could be a thinner head gasket, or it could be new pistons, rings, crank, heads, bore, and stroke.

Do you remember the Pontiac Bonneville SSEi that attempted to set (or did set) a speed record on the salt flats 10-12 years ago? It was written up in HPP and Pontiac Enthusiast; they both said it had a great run, but didn't complete due to wiring issues.

That car was later at a facility where I worked, and I was talking to one of the engineers who wrote the engine calibrations for it. He said the wiring problems consisted of the fuel system going lean at 20+ lbs of boost, burning a hole in the piston, and the combustion gases pushing hot oil out the breather and catching the engine compartment on fire, burning up the wiring harness.

If catastrophic engine failure = "Wiring Issues" at Bonneville, does "modified compression ratio" = (anything you can dream of)?

Like I said, though - congrats to those guys. That's a major feat of engineering, no matter how you look at it.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks to be lowered quite a bit too. But It's still a impressive feat.