Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default My little road trip

Like Keith, i too made use of our little indian and traveled to Mt. Lassen, Ca. this past weekend with some other orphans form our car club.( Edsel Pacer, 1935 Graham, 2- Overland Jeepsters) We escaped the heat of the valley and headed for them hills. With the exception of the electric fuel pump occasionally acting like it was starving, and a starter cap retaining bolt loosening up, the car ran flawless for the the 528 mile journey. Experienced some issues due to the change of altittude from 8ft below sea level to 8000 ft above, but was easy to deal with. Averaged 23-27 miles per gallon at 80mph on the freeway. Unfortunately, the well worn top shredded in the wind. Completely expected,though. We now call it Captain Jack Sparrow's sail.

We were the ugly duckling of the group, but very welcomed and actually quite the conversation throughout, especially since my better half drove the entire tour.

I'm behind the edsel in this pic.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting assortment of vehicles! sounds like a nice trip.... wish there were some cruise/tours around here.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for posting the pictures!! I like the all the different cars too, especially the edsel. Its a fun time when you have a group of different cars going on a cruise together.

When my speedometer says 80MPH I am actually doing 70. I figured this out using the roadside radar signs last summer and confirmed it with my new garmin. I read in one of the tech articles on littleindians.com that the speedometer was off about 5-6 mph from the factory. I am trying to correct it with bigger tires on the back, but it doesn't seem to help much. At 70MPH, the tach is at 3200 with a 3:31 rear.

Going back and forth to Norwalk, I averaged 24MPG and subtracted 10% for the difference in the speedometer, so I got about 22mpg which is great for a 49 yr old car!!

Gary

Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

23 - 24 is right around what I usually get on a trip with the 4-4-4. This year's trip to Norwalk was a little under that, probably running a little rich, for the 1000 miles it averaged out to about 21mpg and 3 to 5 TPH (Thumbs-up Per Hour).

Old 09-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great pictures!!! I forgot my camera last weekend but was too sick any ways. Should of stay'd home. Whats all that white stuff on the ground?? Had a little bit of that in the high country last weekend on the way home. Drove right through it. Crazy!!! 116 in Phoenix, 78 in St Johns & in the low 40's in the high country with snow all in the same day!!

PS, when do you need the trans?

POCI.org
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Senior Chief

Ha!! Thanks for not giving me greif for the pics of non-pontiac cars!!I was hoping you all would enjoy them as much as i did.

Yes Gary, I too believe the speedo is off by ten mph at highway speeds as i noted the difference when passing the roadside radar signs on highway. The speedo was reading 90, so I figured that was actually 80mph comparing to surrounding traffic.

Hey Keith, that white stuff is quite the rare site for us former and current arizona residents, huh? Crazy how a few miles you can have such drastic temp differences.

So far, I can wait on the tranny until I can come down to pic one up. Please keep one aside for me though. Between the spare I had and Rudy's, I was able to get his running.
I'm just paranoid for not having a good spare parts now.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway