Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default buckets to bench seat

With the addition of one more to the family I was considering a bigger car then my 68 FB. I have been looking at GTO and reading up on bench seats. Since the bench seat was somewhat a rare option I was wondering how difficult it would be to put one in, in place of buckets.

Do you have to to go with a column shift?
Will a bench seat bolt right in?
Any considerations with the seatbelts?
Was it more common for the Tempest and LeMans to have a bench seats?
Any other donor cars?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tempests & LeMans & even CustomS often had bench seats. An original bench will bolt right in place of factory buckets. It's going from bench to buckets one has to add the little T shaped pad & the inner mounts. I'm not up on whats out there in reproduction front bench covers for 69 GTO's. Def something to ck.

Seatbelts, you would need to add the center pair, outer passengers are the same.

If automatic floorshift now, you can swap to column shift column. It might be possible to mount a small consolette like was offered & I believe is reproduced for '69 Hurst Olds & Yenko Camaro's. Would be best to double ck on that, of course there other aftermarket floorshift solutions, as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Have a 69 GTO with a bench seat. Day before I purchased the car was sure I would remove the bench seat. On the drive home, completely changed my mind. Bench seat is still in the car 20 plus years later.

Bench seats do differ between GTOs and Lemans/Tempests. The GTO bench seats have a fold down armrest in 69. While a 69 Tempest/Lemans will have a bench seat without the armrest.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant remember owning a '69 GTO w factory bench. Have had the '70-72 2 door hardtop deluxe bench seat with fold down arm rest. Other 70-72 sources include GTO's, LeMans Sports, GS's, top of the line Skylarks, 72 Lux LeMans. Personally if I was in market for a 69 bench, I'd try to find a nice one that had been pulled out for a bucket swap. In really nice shape, it would be worth having broken down & shipped, or possibly driving to get.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '68 is a bench seat with auto on the tree.If you need any measurement let me know. BTW it has a fold down arm rest.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you could get an armrest bench in any A-body in 69..lemans, tempest, skylark, cutlass etc...but never saw one in a chevelle.....

it was an extra cost option...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a 69 GTO, bench seat with a 3 speed on the floor. Bench seat was much better at the drivein movies than buckets.....

Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that the outer bucket seat holes for each front seat track mounting will bolt right up to the factory bench seat tracks.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.