THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WJ View Post
back to the bodies on the COT. It was designed so Ford could no longer complain that chevy had an aero advantage over them or dodge or pontiac at the time and vice verse. chevy would complain when ford would have an advantage ect ect ect ect.....
So nascar said forget all of you we will design a car to be the same for everyone. that is what they did.

patrick
and that's exactly what they did....

I hope they enjoy the IROC series they've created, because the fans don't seem to.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I hope they enjoy the IROC series they've created, because the fans don't seem to.
The fans do enjoy it...

It's the folks that aren't fans that don't...

I took this a few years ago at Martinsville:

The cars may look very similar, but that's good racin'... Door to door for several laps just like that.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The fans do enjoy it...

It's the folks that aren't fans that don't...

I took this a few years ago at Martinsville:

The cars may look very similar, but that's good racin'... Door to door for several laps just like that.
True, but wouldn't your heart race, and any your enthusiasm reach euphoric heights if that were a production bodied, race prepped '72 Camaro with an engine block that you have rubbing paint with a production bodied, race prepped '72 Mustang with a production block that your buddy has in his Mustang?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The whole car is purpose built and as has already been said manufactured by a few shops NASCAR has chosen to built the chassis. The templates fit all the cars as I have said many times NASCAR got tired of the bellyaching about which manufacturer had a better aero body. Also after Dale Sr. got killed NASCAR really got serious and that's when the COT was deemed necessary and was designed. No more bitching about any advantages.

Engines are based on V8s that are available from each manufacturer, you can't buy NASCAR engine parts from any dealer that would be the same as the actual parts in a production cars. The bore spacing has to be the same as stock, same head bolt placement etc. The block used to have to have a Mfrs. part number on it, I am not certain if that still applies, I believe it does.

The cars have a aftermarket full floater version of a ford 9 inch, again no ford parts will be found in it though. All the cars have a truck trailing arm system in them courtesy of the chevy/GMC trucks from 62? til 72 when they had coil springs in some of the rear suspensions in these trucks. The cars must have a steering box and steering linkage, no racks yet allowed, steering linkage is all purpose built for the COT. The front fascias are a little different per manufacturer, again a NASCAR vendor supplies them. Not the factory.

NASCAR has made a very concerted effort to have the playing field equal as well as a safer race car with the COT. It has so far worked and kept drivers from having any fatalities along with the safer barriers lining the tracks. No team has a big advantage in equipment and it makes the racing more equal and gives at least half of the teams the possibility of winning each week. I feel they made good decisions as far as preserving the sport and the drivers competing each week.

It isn't your fathers NASCAR, still to me it's much more interesting to have any team able to win each week and close racing. THERE ARE NO GOOD WRECKS IN IN RACING!!!

I've been away visiting my mother in Prescott AZ the last 2 weeks and as many elderly people she has no internet service, so I've been absent from the boards for awhile in case anyone noticed. I've also been trying to get the finishing touches on my agreement to buy an existing storage facility so I've had little time to cruise PY.......LOL

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBF823 View Post
True, but wouldn't your heart race, and any your enthusiasm reach euphoric heights if that were a production bodied, race prepped '72 Camaro with an engine block that you have rubbing paint with a production bodied, race prepped '72 Mustang with a production block that your buddy has in his Mustang?
Not if the quality of the racing wasn't as good.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO68FXSTC98 View Post
NHRA drag racers use aftermarket engines. I have no idea what constitutes a Chevy Dodge or Toyota. I will bet my last dollar that TRD is not producing an 8000 hp top fuel dragster engine. I believe top fuelers run a Chrystler based Hemi
I believe everyone uses KB Hemis...but that's a guesss on my part.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only reason I've started watching NASCAR again is Danica Patrick. She's trying to the take 'boring' out of Zoom Zoom. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
The only reason I've started watching NASCAR again is Danica Patrick. She's trying to the take 'boring' out of Zoom Zoom. LOL

Just heard she's going to run Tony's Prelude To Dream at Eldora in June, I'm going to go just to watch her try to run a dirt late model. Being she has zero dirt track experience whoevers car she drives better not plan on running it in the Dream race later that week as I'm sure it'll end up a twisted up wreck. They'll sell the heck outta the race moreso than usual when people hear she's going to be running in it. Tony better start her practicing now so she's not a complete embarrassment to him and herself. There might be a "BIG ONE" at Eldora this year too, not just for restrictor plate tracks anymore.............................LOL

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Simple. Headlight decals.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was never a huge NASCAR fan untill I drove a car.I think I have put about 60 laps at Vegas now.I have so much respect for what they do and how they do it.I have had the great pleasure to hang with and have dinner with many of the drivers.I had dinner with Dale 2 weeks before he was killed.Im sure I will have hot pit passes for the Fontana race.Cant wait.Tom

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure that the nose sections and tail sections are still factory built as they were when I was working in a shop painting back in 04-05. All of them that some teams sent to us had factory stickers inside with a part number.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Come to bristol this week in and see for yourself, I live 15mins from the track, Any one going? We hit a new record of 78 today, Now the sad news it is raining now and this weekend.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I was never a huge NASCAR fan untill I drove a car.I think I have put about 60 laps at Vegas now.I have so much respect for what they do and how they do it.I have had the great pleasure to hang with and have dinner with many of the drivers.I had dinner with Dale 2 weeks before he was killed.Im sure I will have hot pit passes for the Fontana race.Cant wait.Tom
Tom, there is no drag racing rush that can compare (IMO) with running lap after just about out of control and you have seen that for yourself. The people that sit behind their keyboard and take pot shots at NASCAR and their drivers have no clue what it's like to sit in one of these cars, it's way more difficult than it looks sitting in their armchairs watching TV. I thought it was easier than it was until I got in a car and saw what it's really all about and I've been a fan since I was 5 YO, then I was really hooked on it more-so than I was before I drove one. I wish there were more people here that really liked oval racing than there are, seems the bashers are becoming somewhat less lately though.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W.Dille View Post
I'm sure that the nose sections and tail sections are still factory built as they were when I was working in a shop painting back in 04-05. All of them that some teams sent to us had factory stickers inside with a part number.

AW, ask your buddies that are connected with it still, I thought it was all vendor pieces used now, I'm curious to know for sure though. Not sure if stock parts could be used with the COT which is a slightly bigger car than the old cars were.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
AW, ask your buddies that are connected with it still, I thought it was all vendor pieces used now, I'm curious to know for sure though. Not sure if stock parts could be used with the COT which is a slightly bigger car than the old cars were.
The nose pieces are built by each company for Nascar. They aren't "PRODUCTION CAR" parts.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Danica is the last reason to start watching NASCAR unless you simply like to watch wrecks...

I was surprised we didn't see huge headlines from the media after the race last week announcing....

Danica finishes the race on the lead lap!!! (last car on the lead lap, 19 seconds behind the leader...)

Maybe the media is even tired of the Danica circus...

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Maybe the media is even tired of the Danica circus...
I sure hope so. She's taking the seat of more worthy male drivers that have proved their worth.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I sure hope so. She's taking the seat of more worthy male drivers that have proved their worth.
ding, ding, ding... We have a winner...

Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
Really? Like who because if they were worth it they'd have a ride.

If someone can DRIVE then they're in a series. If they can market but not drive odds are they aren't.

Her three wrecks at Daytona were not of her doing. She can drive a car and a lot better than anyone here. She has a lot to learn in Nascar but she needs a chance at more laps. That's all. She isn't going to be Cole Trickle overnight.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
Really? Like who because if they were worth it they'd have a ride.

If someone can DRIVE then they're in a series. If they can market but not drive odds are they aren't.

Her three wrecks at Daytona were not of her doing. She can drive a car and a lot better than anyone here. She has a lot to learn in Nascar but she needs a chance at more laps. That's all. She isn't going to be Cole Trickle overnight.
Oh, let's see, David Reutimann, Brian Vickers. David Ragan and few others could use a better ride.

Danica, schmanica. In three years it will be Danica Who?