67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Default Engine build questions for my 68' bird

I have a 68' WT 400 from a GTO, doing a tear down and fixing to take block to machine shop for cleaning. Quesion is I have a 72' 455 HO Alum. intake manifold and was thinking of putting it on during rebuild. Can I run it? Looks like the valley pan is missing but I have the intake.

I have the cast iron unit from the tear down and it has the valley pan that goes beneath the intake. So can I use that valley pan or no? If not, where can I find the part that I need.

Also, I want to run RA on the bird and I want all the vacuums and such to hook up correctly and I noticed the thermac switch (whatever you call that port deal that is right in front driver side on the intake) is on the cast iron intake but the HO intake doesn't have a hole in the boss.

Any recommendations on Quadrajet carbs to run, to get everything to function correctly?

Any help appreciated.
Kev

Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Not really into vacuum hoses with screws in the end. I want a nice clean engine bay when finished.
The car is a 4spd. and has no options but pwr steering. So I can put all the cam I want.
Any recommendations on that would be nice as well.

Just want a driver, that will run very good. As long as the car will run 11-12 et's I should be fine.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

KEVGTO, You can run that 72 factory intake if you want. Do you have the cast cross over that goes with the intake? As for the valley pan, set it on the motor then the intake to make sure the valley pan you have doesn't interfere with the intake. Pontiac made a number of different valley pans. If your valley pan doesn't work, they are readily available from a good number of venders including those on the PY. If your looking for a factory original put it on the correct PY forum and you will have responds from other forum members that have what you want. Goodluck !

Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks, that's what I was referring to the cross over. Man I'm gettin old, can't remember nothing...lol
I need the crossover. Where can I get it?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVGTO View Post
Thanks, that's what I was referring to the cross over. Man I'm gettin old, can't remember nothing...lol
I need the crossover. Where can I get it?
Performance Years the forum sponsor carries an after market replacement crossover part #RPE449B. Call them on the particulars 1-800-542-7278.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime Mike View Post
Performance Years the forum sponsor carries an after market replacement crossover part #RPE449B. Call them on the particulars 1-800-542-7278.
I think Ame's carries it as well. I'll try them first.