Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Offy 5420 hi rise single 4

Anyone ever run one of these? (single plane with center divider not dual port). I've heard mixed things over the years... good for upper rpm power but not great on fuel distribution seems what I recall.

Seems to be more plenum than intake runner looking inside. Actually other than the top portion it seems to be near identical to the 5708 hi rise dual quad but provision to help direct the air from the center.

Looking at it seems it might work good converted to multi-port efi. Might try it on a 406 combo,. Thoughts?

I traded services for it and it came with a nice Holley 3310 on it.

All these years I've never seen one on a Pontiac...maybe an SBC and an FE Ford.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, not much runner lenght going on there!
Back in the early 80s I helped my brother install one on is 67 bird with a mild built 400 driving thru 3.90 gears which was a tad too much in regards to hooking up with street tires.
The manifold dropped off some torque due to that short runner lenght, so I do not know what to say, if your 406 is driving thru 3.55s or less in a car that weights more than 3400 lb than I would look at a different mnaifold.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Yup, not much runner lenght going on there!
Back in the early 80s I helped my brother install one on is 67 bird with a mild built 400 driving thru 3.90 gears which was a tad too much in regards to hooking up with street tires.
The manifold dropped off some torque due to that short runner lenght, so I do not know what to say, if your 406 is driving thru 3.55s or less in a car that weights more than 3400 lb than I would look at a different mnaifold.
Thanks Steve... I'm going to try to run where 400's are happier 4.10-4.3 gear depending on tire. Shouldnt be any problem keeping my 84 GP under 3400 stage weight with plenty of room to get much lighter.

I think I need to get this manifold on a bench...looking at it, it appears it would do better with injectors on it than a carb... I question its fuel distribution with a carb on it.