Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Default Heating an outside well/pump house

Does anyone here have an outside above the ground well pump and holding tank that requires heat so it does not freeze? I am trying to keep a recreational property open for the Wisconsin winter. The well and pump has always been drained and winterized and housed in an uninsulated shell maybe 4' square and 3' high. I plan on insulating the interior with some high density 2" and am wondering what to use to heat it. I have heard everything from a 100 light bulb to a small electric heater. Any suggestions on what to use to heat the interior? Safeguards in case of failure?

The plumbing going in is already wrapped in insulation and has the heated tape around the pipe.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Senior Chief

I say a 100w heat lamp bulb in an aluminum fixture would be fine. The fixture is for heat to radiate off of it and help do the job better. You can buy one of THESE, or you can go cheap and easy below....

One year I had a brand new bulb burn out and everything froze overnight. Really no safeguard when going that route, but I did come up with an idea that has been doing great for me for over 15 years....use 2 (or 3) bulbs on separate timers alternating off/on every 20 min or so. This way, if one bulb burns out, the other bulb will keep the chill out long enough until you discover the bad bulb. Something you should check on twice daily...morning and evening.

Hope this helps.

~Joe

Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try an electric oil heater. These are safe and economical. I use these in rent houses that I am working on in the winter for weeks on end

Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Senior Chief

I have my pipes and expansion tank wrapped with electrical heat trace.
Make sure it is installed properly. Don't cross the electrical tape, don't make the wraps too close and don't insulate the thermostat...

and don't intall it like this first picture....

http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Pi...Add_Points.htm

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Small electric baseboard heater. then the only thing you need to worry about is losing electricity rather than burned out bulb.

https://baseboardheater.3dcartstores...ries-_c_1.html

Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

buy rough service 130v extended life bulb
you can use 2 if you feel the need for backup
remember you only need to keep it at 33 deg
water flowing will help to warm it up.
Im guessing in your area the temp is around 50-60 deg

Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
buy rough service 130v extended life bulb
you can use 2 if you feel the need for backup
remember you only need to keep it at 33 deg
water flowing will help to warm it up.
Im guessing in your area the temp is around 50-60 deg
Try -0 and below for a couple months during the winter with several days under -10. and under 32Ffor 5 months. We ARE talking northern WI.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowapub View Post
I have my pipes and expansion tank wrapped with electrical heat trace.
Make sure it is installed properly. Don't cross the electrical tape, don't make the wraps too close and don't insulate the thermostat...

and don't intall it like this first picture....

http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Pi...Add_Points.htm
'bout covers it.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the help. I want to have a plan B in case one fails as I won't be there but every week or two. Like Sleepy said it gets cold here. It the heater fails, I'm ....
well you know. I think using two thermostat controlled devices with one set at a lower temperture that would kick in if #1 fails.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Try -0 and below for a couple months during the winter with several days under -10. and under 32Ffor 5 months. We ARE talking northern WI.
Really? that would mean you couldnt get any water out of your well for months.
Sleepy Im talking about well water temp.
Chart of USA says its 37-42

Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default Floating water heater

Once you have insulated the tank well. Then get yourself a floating cattle water heater. It has a 1500 watt heater element and will keep the ice out of the tank. Cost about 9 cents a hour up here (Canada .06/KWH) to run. Roughly 2-3 dollars a day. They will keep ice out of the tank in a sheltered non-heated shed at temperatures of 10 below. Ed

Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
Really? that would mean you couldnt get any water out of your well for months.
Sleepy Im talking about well water temp.
Chart of USA says its 37-42
Depending on the snow cover the frost line(how deep the ground freezes) is 32+ inches. one year we had very cold temps and little snow some places had ceptic tanks 6 ft down freeze up. He is talking about keeping the above ground pump from freezing in the pumphouse.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Depending on the snow cover the frost line(how deep the ground freezes) is 32+ inches. one year we had very cold temps and little snow some places had ceptic tanks 6 ft down freeze up. He is talking about keeping the above ground pump from freezing in the pumphouse.
I guess you missed the point that I said about running water.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That works if the temp at night goes below freezing and above during the day like it does there but up here it will freeze up in a day or two and bust everything.
This is not a house he lives in and is there every day. he will not be there weeks or even months at a time.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 PM

Not being there to watch it, you need feedback in case your heat source gives out. There are units that will call you if the temp goes below a set figure. I'd want something like that so you don't break something from freezing.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At -10 feedback will only tell you that you just lost it.

I don't think there is any fail-safe way to do it.

I would make changes so that you can drain / winterize the whole system as easily as possible and drain it every time you leave. That's what I've been doing for many years.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have what is effectively “Zoned Plumbing” at my place. Three zones – Pump, Kitchen, Bathroom.
Leaving the faucets dribbling, and heat tape will only get me to about Christmas (in a good year). Then I shut it down and winterize. I can turn on or shut down and drain the whole place in about fifteen minutes. A few drain plugs and some RV antifreeze in the toilet is all it takes.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a plug in thermostat switch that is set to turn on at 35 and off at 45 that you can plug a light into or possibly a small heater but you would have to check the current needed for it. I also use a Freeze Alarm for my home when I am out of town in the winter that I can program and it will call me thru the regular phone, alert me if the power goes off. I can also call the home phone number and check the status of the temp.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM

I ended up using a 500w stock tank heater from a local farm supply store plugged into a thermostatically controlled plug that turns on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees (like Blk 76's). I added a heated tape to the the pump and holding tank that are basically on all the time. There already was a heat tape and insulation on the pipe leading into the trailer. Kokomo Joe's heat supply link has a ton of good heating stuff and they ship quickly. Also added a wireless thermometer so I can at least check the temp when I am there. Thanks for all the help-Dan

Last edited by thirtypointer; 10-25-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added