Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its infected, trust me.
WYNYT, it was running fine before.
1st sign, the anti virus popped that **** up.
Like I sad, uninstall AVG, start-programs-add remove-select AVG,remove, download latest and REBOOT go a FULL scan before anything else.Reinstall AVG them FULL scan.
Find a trusted friend you know , get Teamview free , have them fix it remotely.
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows.aspx

Last edited by KS circutguy; 11-24-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: cause
Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i trust my knowledge and experiences from having used computers ever since commodore and tandy hit the market decades ago.
im not sure how you can assume its virus related by what was said by cuz ??
having AVG pop up a memory error is a basic checking process of that program and does not necessitate an indication of a virus but a memory problem that may be from several factors as indicated by AVG itself.

AVG Advisor

AVG Advisor is a new proactive service that monitors the computer and advises the user with solutions for various problems the computer has. Research indicates that users often have browsers open for many hours (as many as 15-24 hours at a time) without knowing that these applications are constantly consuming the available memory of the PC.
Over time, available memory is reduced to a low level and this causes a computer to slow down.
Advises “Overuse of memory” by Internet browsers
(Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer only.)
Prompts “overuse of memory” by Internet browsers
(Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer only.)
Can be manually turned off.
Managed via a link from the pro-active pop-up, which opens advanced settings in tray notification.

while obviously checking for a virus is always a good idea,even his AVG gave no indication that one was present.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The AVG so called "monitor" is sometimes what causes the issues..
Most of that bs can be acheived by a simple cold boot!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

kc,if your going to offer advice,even if not accurate but based on assumptions then at least be consistant
you said he had a virus,then said it was the virus program itself simulating a virus,so is it or is it not?
his getting memory errors has nothing to do with it being an older with low installed memory yet running up to date software such as youtube,how oldthe computer,how much memory ,how long the os has been installed,how many running from boot,his virtual memory,his prefetch folder all pertain to his problem,yet you jump right out
ITS A VIRUS
what do you think happens when memory max is being reached?
turn into a virus?
look,sometimes you just CANT teach a old dog new tricks but you should at least keep an open mind
and every problem is NOT a virus,like is what your answer has been on 99% of all computer related problems posted here.
if your gonna diagnose,at least try to before assuming its a virus,because you have no basis for offering such an erroneous diagnosis based on what a program thats doing what it was designed to do.,such as AVG
sorry but everything isnt a virus as demonstrated by your endless past posts suggesting so
im done here,give cuz your remote contact you use when your computer glitches

Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't you have a car to tow.
You 're endless ramblings of things prove you have no clue .
I'm the guy that gives the remote help, you whinny old coot.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
Don't you have a car to tow.
You 're endless ramblings of things prove you have no clue .
I'm the guy that gives the remote help, you whinny old coot.
now now cupcake,lets not get our panties in a twist
learn from constructive criticism without getting all huffy,im just being honest with you.
dayum,everytime i push these buttons,these little black letters pop up,hmm must be a virus
i guess judging from your past posts,this is how you generate business but the info i give is free as i consider py peeps friends and my help is spot on and not based on guesses or assumptions.
your older than i,but you can still call me a old coot

Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
im done here,give cuz your remote contact you use when your computer glitches
You're an ahole,I also BTW do it free fool.
I'm an auto tech , semi retired, now go hook one up.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

refrain from showing your ignorance by resorting to name calling.this isnt the CH so please disagree but at the same time be an adult about it,shall we?
im not impressed by what nor who you are ,i simply responded to statements you made ,i surely do hope that you diagnose your auto's better than you do your computers tho.
i wonder..........do cars get viruses also?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're an arrogant noob tool.
You said 4 posts ago you're done ..
Now YOU stated with the insults, noob.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont know what that insult means but i assume dinner and a hug is out of the question ,huh?
dang sure wont be no baboon bumping either then.
i changed my mind,and i simply disagreed ,not insulted you
if i did im sorry,ima bad boy,i need spanked

Old 11-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

Does AVG even report of memory problems? I thought only windows would, but AVG will report of high memory usage I believe. Either way it does seem more software based than hardware. Especially with windows, memory problems would give a nice BSOD that it could not recovery from.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm on the garage computer now and it's FAST! Still has a few glitches...but at least I can surf and get email.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I'm on the garage computer now and it's FAST! Still has a few glitches...but at least I can surf and get email.
what did you do to fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg View Post
, memory problems would give a nice BSOD that it could not recovery from.
many times if it isnt a critical system fault,a memory error will just crash the program your running and/or crash the explorer

Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Next... aftermarket cylinder heads

Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This:

ASRock G41M-VS3 LGA775-mATX Mainboard s/n 25MOXE097363, DVD player SATA DRIVE, power supply, 4G PATRIOT gaming MEMORY. Don't remember what the HD size is. I think 160 GB? Works fantastic! I can hardly see a difference between the main one in the house.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
ASRock G41M-VS3 LGA775-mATX Mainboard s/n 25MOXE097363, DVD player SATA DRIVE, power supply, 4G PATRIOT gaming MEMORY. Don't remember what the HD size is. I think 160 GB? Works fantastic! I can hardly see a difference between the main one in the house.
so is the computer in question working ok now?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
so is the computer in question working ok now?
I just need to load the info off my old hard drive onto the new one. Tons of pics and music CD's I loaded a while back.

― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

id suggest keeping the old drive as a backup of your pics and such,i think i have like 3 backups of my family pics,cant be too careful

Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.carbonite.com/en/v2/index

Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

giving my files to a 3rd party and allowing the world to potentially have access to them wont happen in this lifetime.besides what would it cost to store 15tb as opposed to buying the drives