Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 AM

Default Converted to an Alternator today

Well, thanks to Jerry(C5Farmer), I was able to get a set of alternator brackets and get it installed on our 62 tempest today. With instructions from M.A.D. electrical, the job was relatively simple. I went with a 94 amp internally regulated alternator. It is a 12SI series that is clocked at 9:00. The application is a 85 Buick Rivera with a 307. Plenty of juice to keep the electric fuel pump and electronic ignition happy now. The headlights don't look like candles anymore either. I need to go back and retape the wires, neaten it up a little bit but I was primarily interested in getting it functional today.

1962 Tempest Lemans 4 cyl auto
1967 Camaro
1969 C/10
1969 D300
1972 K/5
1974 'Cuda
2005 2500HD Duramax
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Alternator

Andy, Looking good and the increased charging power will make your Tempest a better daily driver. Glad all the pulleys lined up for a nice, clean installation. Any special reason you selected the Buick Riv 307 alternator?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used a one wire alternator on my 62 Lemans and ran the wire along with the temperature sending unit wire along my valve cover back to the starter. Looks much cleaner. 9000 miles later, no problems. My electrical parts supplier made the wire to the length I told them and it looks factory.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5924.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	306365  

Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Amp gauge

Gary, What did you do with the Amp and voltage regulator wires? I used a one wire alternator on my hot rod Tempest and wired it directly to the battery. The amp gauge wire was left hooked up and the wire disconnected at the regulator. I installed a volt meter and it always show a charge of up to 14 volts.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5farmer View Post
Andy, Looking good and the increased charging power will make your Tempest a better daily driver. Glad all the pulleys lined up for a nice, clean installation. Any special reason you selected the Buick Riv 307 alternator?
I chose it because that is what was listed in the M.A.D. electrical booklet for that amperage that was clocked in that position. Sometimes parts stores don't have the same part numbers as what he had listed so it is good just to have the application.

I chose the 3 wire because the reasons Mark outlined in this document. http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

All of the wiring in the photo isn't for the the alternator. Some of it is for the front light harness, and the rest is for the relay I wired in for my electric fuel pump. Basically the relay is connected to the oil pressure sensor, so it has to see oil pressure in order to complete the circuit for the pump to being pumping. Basically a safety item. If the car were ever wrecked and the engine shut off, it would kill the fuel pump keeping it from pumping fuel and possibly causing a fire.

1962 Tempest Lemans 4 cyl auto
1967 Camaro
1969 C/10
1969 D300
1972 K/5
1974 'Cuda
2005 2500HD Duramax
Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why stop at SI?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5farmer View Post
Gary, What did you do with the Amp and voltage regulator wires? I used a one wire alternator on my hot rod Tempest and wired it directly to the battery. The amp gauge wire was left hooked up and the wire disconnected at the regulator. I installed a volt meter and it always show a charge of up to 14 volts.
I saw that and capped each wire and wrapped them out of the way so they are not noticed. I also capped and wrapped the generator wires and hid them under the heater box just in case I decide to go back to a generator one day. It may not be the right thing to do, but I haven't had any problems with it in the past year have been driving it this way.

I like the idea of wiring the fuel pump to the oil sensor wire, good safety tip!