THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bad and Inaccurate Reproduction Parts

Just Thought that this might be interesting and informing. What Reproduction parts have you gotten that just didn't cut it as far as fit, finish, accuracy to original and so on? Or maybe vendors always list it to fit a wide range of years but they is not the case.

I will start it of with the well documented Phoenix Graphics 1970-1972 Trans Am stripe kit

Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Just Thought that this might be interesting and informing. What Reproduction parts have you gotten that just didn't cut it as far as fit, finish, accuracy to original and so on? Or maybe vendors always list it to fit a wide range of years but they is not the case.

I will start it of with the well documented Phoenix Graphics 1970-1972 Trans Am stripe kit
Dang it. was getting ready to log off but this strikes a continual nerve with me. basically everything made in china. crap. junk. I do of course buy parts made there you can't avoid it when restoring, but under great duress.

China mentality: if we can make it appear like original, thats good enough.

I could list a bunch of parts iv'e bought that were pure garbage, seems their engineering use of alloys is only for cosmetic purpose not strength. and even cosmetic is often bad. and this includes even plastics. brittle easily melted broken plastics. metal parts that wear incredibly quickly. door hinges and clutch fork pivot ball come to mind. fitment? "tolerances" are not in there planning. there tooling jigs are probably made of wood.

I can only imagine china engineers laughing at how good they are at faking likeness to a product to get the cash register ringing at Americans expense.

now, if a company is going to take their product there to increase profit at the expense of human rights, (another subject) then ^%%E$$#!!!!! bring your USA engineering and strictly over-see that the same quality standards are met!!!

:u sa2:

Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
It has been over 12 years since I have purchased and installed any Trans Am decals....But I do remember back in the 90's that Phoenix was the worst and had a terrible reputation.
Stencils & Stripes was the top dog then and had the best of the best quality decals....What happen to them? Are they still in business, still high quality???

Or is Phoenix the only player out there anymore?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The shift rods for a Hurst in a 70-72 "A" body are really bad - hit each other.

The clutch pivot was welded AFTER machining for the pivot so you cannot turn it.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had no luck with a pair of goofy hooks that are suppose to hold the lower valance panal tight to the lower front bumper on a 70 GTO. threw um in the garbage after about 10 minutes of futillity.....................never liked the the weak aftermarket hose tower clamps. tighten um up and watch them fold like a pretzal......sigh.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Virtually everything, except for the heater cables and Legendary upholstery for my '67 GTO. Even my new $$$$ Top switch is wired backwards (from AMES). Newdeck lid emblems have studs that are too short. Unable to install. New throttle cables are actually cable saws. Unusable. New rubber parts rot and fall off in months. (Had to re-install 30 year old Moog parts).New weatherstrip that is twice as thick as it should be and doesn't fit. And on and on. At least we have the option to buy the parts, though. Better than none at all!!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

The reproduction roof rail weatherstrips for 1973-1977 A bodies are total s hit. They lack the compressibility of the originals, and instead of being a single extrusion they are several pieces bonded together. After a short time in the weather, they separate. Calling them junk and garbage is too kind.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Canamman, what brand of repro '73-77 roofrails did you experience this with?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They were on my GTO when I bought it in 2009. I think they were Soff Seal brand, but not totally sure. They were absolutely nothing like the NOS GM skin latex weatherstrips that replaced them shortly after I bought it!

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Outer door and quarter panel original style fuzzies didn't line up and weren't shaped properly.
PUI interior parts (purchased before Legendary was an option) completely unhappy with the door and rear interior panels.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is going to be one long thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those damn chrome pieces for the front valance pan for my 69 GTO.
Dropping names[Ames] book said perfect fit,use the item them selves...JUNK-JUNK-JUNK;o(

Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I get calls and emails every week from people looking for original parts and complaining of repop parts not fitting and not lasting long.

Been told of '68-9 GTO Fenders and hood to name 2.

Has anyone had carpet that fit properly? They all seem to be too big and fit loose over the trans hump.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post

Has anyone had carpet that fit properly? They all seem to be too big and fit loose over the trans hump.
No. The color retention is also horrendous.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't blame china for crappy parts they a capable of making high quality stuff the problem is vendors looking for the cheapest part they can still sell at a profit. You can also blame the consumer who wants the cheapest part they can find. Look At the corvette parts they are mostly high quality but they are also expensive and a lot are made in china. It all comes down to you get what you pay for

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOWAGON For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWAGON View Post
Don't blame china for crappy parts they a capable of making high quality stuff the problem is vendors looking for the cheapest part they can still sell at a profit. You can also blame the consumer who wants the cheapest part they can find. Look At the corvette parts they are mostly high quality but they are also expensive and a lot are made in china. It all comes down to you get what you pay for
I'll agree on what was said. Remember when we used to say something about the J-A-Pan Company- Well most things from Chinia has no Quality Control and makes Japan look good. There is some good stuff that does come from Japan but not Chinia.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWAGON View Post
Don't blame china for crappy parts they a capable of making high quality stuff the problem is vendors looking for the cheapest part they can still sell at a profit. You can also blame the consumer who wants the cheapest part they can find.
we have a winner.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
I get calls and emails every week from people looking for original parts and complaining of repop parts not fitting and not lasting long.

Been told of '68-9 GTO Fenders and hood to name 2.

The fenders suck but the hoods are great - had experience with both.

I've bought two carpet sets in 2012, had a red 4sps one put in a no console car that was flawless, the black one I haven't done yet.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive see some funny ones before
first one that comes to mind was the 64 GTO hood inserts that was short one rib.
Another was the 67-8 Firebird grilles that had the mount in the wrong spot.
Or the reproduction 1/4 panel chevrons that wont fit OEM 1/4s.
I could go on and on and on.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those stainless steel 8 bolt divider plates are crap. Lens gaskets are total sh!t too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.