Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I think you'd be really surprised if you did a side by side comparison.

I've had the opportunity to do the Monroe ride and drive comparison. I am not saying that Monroe's are the best shocks/struts made - but they were the company that allowed me the opportunity to participate.

I drove 2 identical Mercedes sedans with 50,000 miles. Well, identical except for one had the original shocks/struts still in place and the other had new Monroe shocks/struts. First I drove the one with the OE shocks around the handling course. Then I took the one with the new Monroe's.

I felt like Super Man on the second time around the controlled course.

Then I did the same test with a Toyota Sequoia SUV. Same results.

What most people don't realize is that handling degrades very slowly as your shocks wear out. You don't just notice a sudden change. If you replace your 29 year old. 125,000 mile KYB's with new one's - I willing to bet you notice a huge improvement in the ride and handling.

I had brand new Monroes on my GTO for 3 months or so before I installed the Bilstiens. The monroes were absolute garbage. They may have a good product for newer cars but I will never buy them for my classics again. Just doing a hand compression test outside the car when I swapped them out made it almost laughable that they even sell them.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to beat a Bilstein. My old Guldstrand valved worked good for road race and drag racing.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 AM

I upgraded my suspension(WS6 like using Eaton/ TRW springs, all new hardware, upgraded sway bars, all new poly/ OEM bushings etc) in my 76 Firebird and installed Monroe Sensatracs on all 4 corners and drove the car for 1.5 years. Compared to my past Firebirds, the car handled very nice. In the past 8 mos, I replaced the Poly body bushings with solid aluminum ones, installewd sub frame connectors, and a set of Bilstein HD shocks. All I can say is WOW! My car handles awesome. No more flexing, and cornering is like that of a go cart. Point and shoot per say! I could not be happier.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have run the KYB's on my 70 GTO for years no real complaints, but I just installed the Bilsteins and am waiting for the snow to melt! The set was less than $300

Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 AM

Yes. I paid $282 for my Bilsteins with free shipping from AJUSA.com