Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM

Default Any & All Help Appreciated...!

Hi Guys,

This past weekend I took the '64 Pontiac Parisienne out of storage---that's Canada's version of the big "B" body Poncho---and noticed that the horn bar on the steering wheel felt "sloppy"...and, of course, I could no longer activate the horn...

Does anyone have any idea of how to remove the horn bar away from the steering wheel on these rides...? I suspect that I may have dis-lodged something under there while doing all of my twists & turns with the wheel, removing the car from its winter resting spot (and it WAS tight in that storage barn!)...

Eddy

Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't you just grip it in the centre and pull it directly out?

It's held on by spring clips. To re-fit it, you just centre it over the clips and push it back on.

Ian

Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Hi Ian,

I have NO IDEA here, having never done this before on this car...

The closest I came was in the late 60's: my Dad had a '64 Parisienne, & one time he hit the horn rather urgently---and the entire horn bar & centre piece of the steering wheel fell off in his lap!

Eddy

Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My guess would be to pop out the plastic center ornament by twisting and lifting. Then start taking off whatever remaining pieces you need to remove the horn. Probably the steering wheel retaining nut and three screws.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to post a picture of it so we give to the correct advice as I doubt that it is the same as an American Pontiac. It probably comes off the way a '64 Chevy horn bar would come off.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Hi Steve,

I'll try & take a jpeg of the wheel assembly later to-day, & post it here...

But I wouldn't be the least surprised if GM Canada "borrowed" the Chev wheel---after all, thy basically dropped a Pontiac body atop a Chev chassis & drivetrain, & sold it here as a Pontiac!

I distinctly recall visiting family friends in Detroit & Cleveland in the early 60's, & seeing all these hunky-looking, wide-track Ponchos---they were beautiful-looking! By contrast, Pontiacs in Canada all had that over-sized body look, with the tires / wheels recessed deep into the fender panel & quarter panel wheel wells...

Eddy

Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM

Default Photos of Steering Wheel

Hi Guys,

Here are two jpegs of the steering wheel in my 1964 Canadian Pontiac Parisienne...

If anyone knows how to remove the horn bar---so that I might (hopefully!) repair the horn actuator underneath it---I sure would be most appreciative...!

Regards,

Eddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09592.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	322517   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09591.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	322518  

Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks a lot like Impalas from the same year. I would check with a Chevy board if nobody here has a Canadian '64 big car.

Short of that... The center will either pry out with spring clips or turn and pull out as described above. Try turn method first. Ask me how I know this... Once you get the cap off it will be obvious what all you need to do per pfilean.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I went down to my garage first thing this morning and had a look at my Parisienne wheel and pulled off my horn bar.

Bruce is right, that wheel is the same as a Chevrolet of the same year.

SIMPLE to remove the horn bar. Probably best to FIRST remove the negative (ground) lead from the battery otherwise it will start to blow off the horn as you play with the horn bar. Remember, the horn is activated via the GROUND wire. Pushing the horn bar, you make the circuit for the horn hence it blows.

Grip the centre boss and pull it straight off. It's held on by strip metal spring clips.

Underneath, you see 3 phillips screws set into a thin plastic ring. Unscrew them and gently lift out the plastic ring. The ring has deep set insulators which isolate the horn bar electrically to the rest of the car. Be careful not to break the thin plastic ring but if you do, you can buy them from any Chevrolet parts place.

Lift off the horn bar. It's that easy.

I suspect if your horn bar has become loose and floppy, you may have broken the plastic insulator. They are flexible plastic but yours is possibly brittle and gone after nearly 50 years

Let us know how you get on?

Ian

Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM

Hi Ian,

MANY THANKS for that information...!

I shall give it the ol' "...college try" this weekend, with a print-out of your note nearby.

Will keep you posted...

Regards,

Eddy