Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Replacement stereo

I'm looking to replace the stereo head unit that's in my 69' GTO (It's a cheap one the last owner put in) I'd like to get one that looks original but has new tech - one you can plug your Ipod into. The ones I'v found are $600! Does anyone know of a cheaper route? If not, I guess I gotta cough up the 600 beans...

Old 06-08-2013, 02:10 AM
Suspended

I believe it's called Custom Auto Sound & they make radios that fit correctly in your dash & they are around $ 375.00 400.00 for there unit. You can find them in any Hemmings Auto Trader or if you watch TV on sat. morning they always advertise them on the power block TV shows in the morning. You know the names for the shows on Volicity TV like Truck, Muscle Cars & some on Speed TV like My classic cars motorweek, & others. You will see them on there each & every week.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have at least 3 options: Custom Autosound, RetroSound, and getting your original reworked with updated internals. Using either of the first 2 options will require cutting the little bar on your dash that separates the radio push button knobs from the readout. I had a Custom Autosound in my 69 vert, wasn't too impressed with the sound but lived with it until it died. ( I bought it used from a forum member). Just replaced it with a Retrosound Model 1, and the sound, IMO, is a bit better. (Keep in mind my hearing is poor so what may sound adequate to me may sound lousy to you). Radio cost was about $240,IIRC. Do an internet search for Retro vs Custom, you'll find a lot of opinions. There are many companies that will convert your old radio (Electro-Tech in MN. is one example), this usually is $500-600 or so. The radio size of the Retro is smaller than the Custom, so the install was easier. I am running 6 speakers, so I also added an amp in the glove compartment. Hope this helps.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few other options is to get a stock am or am/fm and add a Redirad
http://rediscoveradio.com/

or you could add a non-working head unit and add this unit as a stand alone.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hidden-Secre...e7d235&vxp=mtr

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ames sells a radio that fits different pontiacs. asar radio $599 and ames exclusive for $299, and retro sound for $249 and custom auto sound from $179 to 269 and a couple of disc changers from $285 to $549. and npd has radios from $150 to $549 that are suppost to fit the dash try our host I bet that they have retro radios too I have npd across the town from me so I dont pay all that freight charges

Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default Radio

I have a new Sony am/fm cassette I purchased 15 plus years ago with the posts. Can't plug a ipod into it, but I'd take $75 shipped for it.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM
PY Staff - Tech

We sell a direct fit one for the 69-72's. And you can use your Ipod with it
I plan on getting one for Punkey once he's back on the road!!

PY part #RPZ187 for $329
Here's some more info;
This radio is the ONLY one on the market that fits in the factory location and you do not need to cut the plastic radio bezel. ** The bezels and knobs look original. The dial indicator is the only part that does not look original. It is digital. You can plug an MP3 player or CD changer into it. The sound quality is very good.

Specs: 12V, 45W per channel x 4 channels - 4 ohm speaker, Scan feature, remote control, pair of RCA jacks, auxiliary in 1/8" jack (with extension cable), CDC input port, power lead for automatic power antenna, & wiring harness. Battery # is CR2025.

Fits 1969-72 GTO, 1969-72 GP, 1969-70 Bonne/Catalina/Executive.
Unconfirmed to fit on early Pontiacs.
Instructions are included with radio for mounting or you can download them <a href="http://pysales.com/RPZ187_Owners_Manual.pdf">HERE</a>.

INSTRUCTIONAL INSTALLATION VIDEO
<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pofsk6i0HCs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pofsk6i0HCs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPZ187.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	326065  

Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
PY part #RPZ187
I stumbled on this one a few years ago before PY or any of the other Pontiac suppliers carried it, got it from an online Chevelle store of all places.

It does fit the factory cutout perfectly and it looks very original, though I remember having to do a bit of surgery on the shafts because they were too long.

Mine has worked fine. I have an amp hooked up through the RCA jacks to drive rear speakers and drive speakers in the dash and kicks directly through the radio. The tone and select knobs are just dummies but the little remote lets you set up tone, balance, etc. The volume and tuner knobs are functional. Also pushing the volume knob turns the radio on/off and pushing the tuner knob selects FM/AM/Aux input. And the push button selects are also functional. The only thing that drives me nuts is that it must take 200 turns of the tuner knob to get from one end of the FM band to the other, but then I mostly use the aux-in jack. Maybe they fixed that since I got mine?

Not exactly the features/quality of the double-din Pioneer that I put into my 06 GTO but it doesn't take fancy electronics to get good sound these days so happy with that aspect.

The display is dark when the radio is off so it keeps the dash looking very stock sitting in car shows. Funny that nobody ever seems to notice that the frequency bars and indicator are "missing".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9025.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	326119  

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my orig. non working 68 radio (and a few friends radios) modified by John Cavanaugh in NJ. I believe it was $259. He guts the unit and cleans the face etc. The radio looks bone stock yet it's an am/fm stereo with RCA outputs for an external amp if you want to use it, a bass booster circuit and, of course an aux. input to use with any 1/8" jack input (Ipod, Android, CD player, etc). No complaints at all. PM me if you want his contact info
Dave

Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

S/M Electrotech - make your factory radio do anything you want. Good product. Retro speakers with modern features as well.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Senior Chief

X2 on S/M Electrotech. Had my stock '62 converted to AM/FM with an IPOD jack. Looks stock, I had the the IPOD jack come out the back, ran the wire down the firewall (under the carpet) and into the center console. Plug the IPOD in there. Also, front 4x10 speaker replaced with 4x10 dual speakers. Sounds awesome.

1962 Grand Prix, 408 w/tripower, ported / polished #62s, TH400, 3.42 posi