Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Any difference between a '66 and '67 radiator?

Looking to up my cooling capacity for the new engine and I see a lot of radiators for 1966 GTOs, but not so many for 1967. Is there any difference between the two? What about a 1965? Lots of those around! I'm going with an aluminum, so correctness isn't something I'm concerned with at all. As long as it fits well and does the job it's supposed to do. I'm currently running a Summit universal fit, but I don't like the way it sits and I had to raise it up about three inches to get it where it's supposed to be. I could be using those extra three inches for more radiator. I also want to ditch the auxilary trans cooler and just run the tranny lines through the radiator (200 4R). Going for a clean and simple look.

1967 Lemans: 455 swap in progress (stock crank, stock rods, TRW slugs, mildly ported 6x heads, Stump Puller hyd roller, 1.5 PRW aluminum rollers, Comp hyd roller lifters, Performer RPM, q-jet, RA exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, ebay HEI), 200 4R, and some suspension stuff
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you checked out the PY catalog pg 58? It gives you their part #'s for the different radiators and gives you a synopsis of the original and the replacement.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Senior Chief

My PY catalog is about eight years old. Checked, but it didn't say much.

1967 Lemans: 455 swap in progress (stock crank, stock rods, TRW slugs, mildly ported 6x heads, Stump Puller hyd roller, 1.5 PRW aluminum rollers, Comp hyd roller lifters, Performer RPM, q-jet, RA exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, ebay HEI), 200 4R, and some suspension stuff
Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Senior Chief

Big difference is the side the upper hose exits. It is my understanding the capacity is same between 66 & 67, not sure about 65, it all depends on core size as well.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Suspended

Also isnt ther a difference between the tripower hose outlet and the 4 bbl? and filler cap location?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Senior Chief

Ah yes, forgot about the whole engine switch thing from '66 to '67. Guess that's where the difference lies. Thank you for the replies!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 PM

Default radiator

A couple of years ago I bought an aluminum radiator made by Griffin in USA for my 66 GTO. Couldn't have been more pleased with fit and performance. Though it looked like my Harrison 4 core, that is where the similarities stopped. No comparison in cooling. As I remember they custom make the radiators so I think you can get the configuration you need.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Senior Chief

I ended up getting this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=271232057895

It's listed as a '64 - '65 with a 17 1/2" core and tranny cooler. Seems to fit just fine, but I won't know for sure until the hood goes on.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I didn't see anywhere if you have an air conditioned car. If you do & the car has the original radiator support then the 17 1/2 inch core is what you want. I don't know why they are listing this type of radiator as fitting '64 & '65s. They had the top hose connector on the same side as the bottom hose connector. If you got one that looks like their pictures, with the hose connectors on different sides, then it's exactly what you want. Good luck with your build. Jerry.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

Yes, I do (well, did) have a/c. I don't know anything about the '64 and '65 Goats, but the radiator I purchased does seem to fit well. Here's a couple photos.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The only thing I'm a little concerned with is the height. I don't have the rubber radiator cushions in yet, so figure that it will sit about 1/4" higher.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, what to do about a fan...

Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That looks like just what you want. The top hose on the drivers side & the bottom hose on the passenger side makes for a better flow pattern than the 64 & 65 style with both hoses on the passenger side. As far as a fan goes, that seems to be a mater of personal preference. I've seen posters who swear by clutch fans, flex fans & electric fans (both pushers & pullers). I use a flex fan on my mild custom & it works fine. Best of luck. Jerry.