Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default March performance

Has anyone added the march pulley system and had issues with application.Adding Vintage Air to my 66 GTO I have never dealt with such an unfriendly bunch of people in my life .My alt fan is discolored and has never been run on the street they want to charge me to redo the fan also the ac brackets wont line up and they tell me I need to have spacers made they were aware I was running Edlebrock heads and never mentioned I would have a problem with installation this stuff is extremely costly. I would not have chosen to go this route but prev builder had the alt and p/s purchased for the car so I was stuck doing the ac with their stuff.Don't want to sound like a whiner but man that's allot o cash to have issues with.
Attachment 329197

Attachment 329198

Attachment 329199

Attachment 329200

Last edited by 1966geeto; 01-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Default pulley system

I agree March is way over priced!! I went with pulley system from CVF Racing...excellent quality and it all lined up with just a couple minor spacers. Hope this does not hurt but for alt/power steering and crank...$275.00 billet aluminum polished mirror finish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pulley.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	329202  

Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Senior Chief

Nice. I was just looking at the CVF stuff. Only heard good things about them, and made in America.

1967 Lemans: 455 swap in progress (stock crank, stock rods, TRW slugs, mildly ported 6x heads, Stump Puller hyd roller, 1.5 PRW aluminum rollers, Comp hyd roller lifters, Performer RPM, q-jet, RA exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, ebay HEI), 200 4R, and some suspension stuff
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have the serp. kit on my car now with e-heads
no problems, other than at first understanding the spacers and then measuring which one was witch and went where
once installed, it is VERY nice and clean, and then finally the instructions become a little more clearer
yeah...... the price is hefty indeed

i was using the belt driven water pump, and now using the electric pump with just alt and ps

PS....
getting the alt setup without nicking the brackets by yourself is no east task
make sure you put something on the brackets to prevent nicks/marks
unfortunately at first i did not

Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried to use the March system once and had some questions.....don't bother calling them as they were of little to no help. They couldn't tell me what PS housing to use but sure wanted to sell me their overpriced unit.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Default pulley

just an add on note...March system is located down here in Naples, Fl., and I went to the factory to see if they could give me a better price on a system (ps/alt/crank) they were sooo unreceptive and pretty much blew me off. I would have thought that since I live in area that would allow some kind of privilege and that they would take care of a local as well. NOT! Only way I would buy any of their product is from a garage sale. CVF Racing all the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power steering pump.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	329218  

Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The march system is a little too proprietary for me. You can only use all of their stuff or none of it. I don't care for that.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Senior Chief

I had a 'bad feeling' about March Performance (no one ever answered their online chat/IM system).

I have put CVF pulleys on both my Pontiac's (69 Bird, 72 GTO) the 72 having A/C (a Classic Air system). The A/C compressor fit nicely with the CVF Racing brackets. Everything looks like it will line up, and the 'rod-ends' are really nice for making side-to-side adjustments.

The only downside (I had) with CVF Racing, was some of the allen-headed cap screws (on the A/C+P/S+Water pump pulley kit) were missing, and others were too short (e.g. the 3-1/2" SHCS that goes into the water pump and help hold the outside bracket for the A/C compressor didn't work for me). I had to purchase a 4" SHCS for it to work.

Perhaps that is an a problem with my water-pump? Not sure. However, the fit/finish of the kit (IMHO) is way better looking than the March-Perf stuff. And the price is reasonable! The CVF Racing stuff is 'the way to go'.

Best of luck!
Brian

Old 07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966geeto View Post
Has anyone added the march pulley system and had issues with application.Adding Vintage Air to my 66 GTO I have never dealt with such an unfriendly bunch of people in my life .My alt fan is discolored and has never been run on the street they want to charge me to redo the fan also the ac brackets wont line up and they tell me I need to have spacers made they were aware I was running Edlebrock heads and never mentioned I would have a problem with installation this stuff is extremely costly. I would not have chosen to go this route but prev builder had the alt and p/s purchased for the car so I was stuck doing the ac with their stuff.Don't want to sound like a whiner but man that's allot o cash to have issues with.
I hear you...I did have to do a significant amount of fabrication to make everything work and line up...particularly the spacers. I purchased my system in parts from various swap meet and classified finds since I helped a few friend with their systems as complete kits on SBC and BBCs in the past and they were pretty tough installs and March was no help. So, I figured if it was going to be this tough, I would save some money and find used parts to make up the kit. Here is a photo of my system completed.

Compressor mock up...

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco

Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto406 View Post

Perhaps that is an a problem with my water-pump? Not sure. However, the fit/finish of the kit (IMHO) is way better looking than the March-Perf stuff. And the price is reasonable! The CVF Racing stuff is 'the way to go.
Aren't the CVF pulleys V groove?

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

Yes indeed. I think they also have a serpentine kit. I went for the V-groove with the 3 groove balancer mounted pulley.

A pic without belts and my P/S mocked up (P/S still needs a rebuild):

Cheers
Brian

Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wow!

color me surprised here, as i appear to be the only person with a decent experience with March tech.

I got my system in late 04/early 05, the "standard" version, not that insanely $1K+ expensive one. I want to say around 08/09 i was finally doing mock up with the bare block and one cyl head bolted on.

having trouble with the spacers ( like most have said were/are a challenge to figure out ) and getting things in line. i was also playing around with the several PS pump cores i have - early and late - to see if they would work right.

I call into March for guidance/help, and the guy i talked with couldnt have been more helpful. well, i guess he could have, but he would have had to get on a flight and come over to show me first hand. we ran down the instructions, what i was using and where, and determined one of the spacers was either sent wrong or machined wrong and he'd send a couple new ones out. we also discussed PS pump bodies, i explained what i had, and he told me what specific one ( chevy impala ) works with the angles, but i could look for one that has a similar mounting bolt arrangement. we even talked about my MSD alternator and how to make that fit the best.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to MG12692

I purchased a March system with all accessories as well for my 72 bird. Spent around $1700 and I must say was a little disappointed. I had missing brackets, but 2 brackets I did not need and a set of terrible instructions. I had to take pictures with part numbers taped to each part proving they screwed up. I understand that mistakes happen however customer support wasn't all that great either.
I will say once the system was in place it fit very well and looks great.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update March

It has been 2 weeks and still no help said I must have the wrong spacer and to make my own wtf are you kidding me 400 just for the ac side said he would talk to the shop mg about re coat these have been in storage for 4 years wrappen in cotton t shirts they have not been exposed to anything and have never been on the car I spoke with one of the March boys and he blew me off so I sent the brackets back to them for inspection at my cost will see what happens never had such piss poor svc in my life will let you know what happens ready to put the frt end back together.
Attachment 329796

Attachment 329797

Attachment 329795

Last edited by 1966geeto; 01-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been running that setup for about 8 years and it still looks nice. You must've gotten a bad batch or something.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 AM
Senior Chief

Anyone have a link for the CVF kit they are running?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just my luck 1 step forward 2 steps back I sent the brackets back to March will see what happens.The cvf stuff looks nice do the do a serp belt.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Senior Chief

I have the March Style Track on my 535. It was difficult to figure out what spacers and bolts went where! I recieved the same poor customer service from March when I called them about the leaky power steering pump they sent me. It was leaking around the return tube and they instructed me to seal it with JB Weld. I told with for $2000 I shouldnt need to do this. Their reply......if you send it back this is what we will do to repair it! So I used it and stopped the leak. Another issue with the Style Track it's almost impossible to set the engine timming due to the main bracket blocking your view!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 AM

Default pulley

another tip...go to Ace Hardware they have a huge selection of chrome shims, spacers.

1969 Custom"S" 400 stroked to 455 Holley Dominator 870 Pontiac Performer intake KRE heads Kieth Black pistons Crane Cam Hooker ceramic coated headers CVF Racing pulley system 700r4 trans built/700hp Ford 9" 3.73 posi 4-wheel disc brakes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ace has a nice supply they just don't have the length I have a machine shop down the road guys a racer took all my measurements to him and had them made shouldn't have to do that with the amount of money I spent on this stuff.