Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 LeMans 455

I ran across a 71 LeMans for sale recently. It's a one-owner car, and the owner claims the 455 in it is original. I haven't seen the car in person yet, but how rare is an original 455 LeMans? From the pictures, it doesn't seem to have any stripes or anything on it that would indicate a GT 37. What 455s were available in the LeMans? Would it be a D-port? How desirable is something like this? It is an automatic; looks to have bucket seats. The car needs restoration. The original paint is faded off and there's surface rust all over it, but I can't see any rust through.

I am trying to decide if this is something I want to pick up, but there's a good possibility it would be a flip, because I have too many projects already....

Thanks,
Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 08-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Following is production numbers by body series of 2 door '71 T-37's, LeMans, & LeMans Sport factory equipped with the 455 D port engine coded YC.

LeMans T-37:
23327 (T-37 post) = 4
23337 (T-37 hrdtp) = 19 (of which 15 were GT-37's)

LeMans

23527 (2 door post) = 1
23537 (2 door hardtop) =9

LeMans Sport (good possibility w the bucket seats)

23737 (2dr hrdtp) =40
23767 (convert) = 50

The YC coded 455 D port engine is the most common 455 engine in '71. Nearly always in Bonnevilles, std in Grandvilles & std in '71 SJ Grandprixs, & optional in many other '71 offerings.

If I was looking at an original '71 Pontiac A-body in an effort to verify as a factory 455 car, I would look at the engine code, casting dates, partial VIN on the engine, head casting code on center exhaust area of the heads (should be 66 on '71 455 YC code engine). I'd also look under the rear of the car & see if it's 12 bolt rear was there. should have an inverted splash lip on the cover, not a smooth rear cover. I'd also look at the frame numbers & codes stamped into the side of the left rear frame rail near where the left rear tail pipe hanger mounts. There will be a part number, usually a partial date, an S with a circle around it, & the code HW or HX. Both of these two letter codes denote the frame ID code, 455 A-bodys had their own frames. I'd also shine a flashlight & look at the frame stands under the motor mounts. These are 455 A-body only, but were reproduced in last 10 years. The Parts Place had them repro'ed & you can find pics of the repro 455 A-body motor mount stands on eBay.

Last, with factory bucket seats, roundport heads (197's) & has roundport exhaust manifolds & a two piece intake, you have hit the mother load. If equipped with the original 455 HO block should be stamped YE as car was equipped with the Turbo 400 transmission.

23537 w 455HO auto= 3 (one accounted for, owned by PY mrmber in MN)
23737 w 455HO auto= 10

When you go look at it, ck it out closely, note all trim tag data & VIN, can always note the VIN without the last 3 numbers. Best of luck.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 08-04-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the information! I didn't realize they were so rare. Here is the VIN (well, most of it): 237371Z107XXX

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I spoke to the owner. He bought it off the showroom floor and parked it when it hit 200,000 miles with intentions of restoring it. That was 25 years ago. He's now realizzed he will never do it so he's selling. He claims it's got all its original parts. I am going to try to get over there Friday to look it over.

Importsmasher

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

yeah, checking the chassis frame mounts is a fast way to know if it is likely an original 455. Even rear ends and stuff can be swapped out over the years but, rarely do the chassis mounts change.
Scott, if you have had the engine out of your 66 or others, you know what the 'triangle' chassis mounts look like on the engine crossmember. The GTOs and Lemans with factory 455s use chassis mounts that look nothing like them. It also uses the larger 3 bolt engine mount. It is pretty easy to see.
I have used this method since the late 70s when I learned of this.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fremont built LeMans Sport.

Keep us posted!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up Fremont built

A little biased

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 08-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Me too... Freemont folks seemed to do some weird stuff. Seems that they were smoking some really good stuff when some cars were put together. LOL. Like wrong cam, no call outs and black splatter in silver paint where you could see gouge marks at where the sail panel/quarter/roof come together.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wrong cam would have been (mis)installed in Pontiac engine plant, plant 9(?), then made the train ride to Fremont plant. Could have been loaded & sent to any of the asm plants installing HO engines. Orig YE in my Fremont GT-37 had the S grind, originally (came in a big box w the car). The S grind was pulled for an isky, then a general kinetics grind.

Jack, your roof seam doesn't sound like it was prepped well, have run across that before, not pretty but not as bad as if the plant worker that did the lead work mistakenly thought the car was going to get a vinyl top.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guess they didn't expect an HO in a T-37, post car so no HO designation on the outside. I am okay with that. It had the 066 cam in it. Still have it.