THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM

Default Gutter Covers

Has anyone had the newest type of maintenance free gutter covers installed? I would like to get a feel of how expensive it is to have it done before I start to talk to anyone. I can't seem to find any websites that will list potential costs.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Installed ones are pricey with a capital "P." Be sure to shop around--Gutter Helmet, etc. There are, however do-it-yourself covers that are much more economical.

I've installed the ones from our local Menards that are in sections about 30" long. They work well, but I would suggest securing the edge that goes under the shingles (toward the roof peak) with RTV or another adhesive, as they tend to pull out if there's a heavy rain or ice storm. They do a good job of keeping leaves & debris out of the gutters.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Just got gutter helmet 1 month ago love them & with size off the house I don't think the price was all that bad. Took 2 guys about 5 hours to install & clean up. guarantee for the life of the home. Any problems they fix for free. If they ever get anything in the gutters they will come out @ clean for free & the best part is I will never have to get up on the 2nd floor the clean the gutters out again. Its close to 40 feet at the highest point & never wanted to fall off

Old 08-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Baron.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had Leafguard gutters installed on my house a few years back and have been very happy with them, they really work - zero leaves or debris inside the gutters, and they drain water like they're supposed to even during huge downpours. My house is pretty tall, and I have a lot of trees, so it's nice to not have to climb a ladder to clean the gutters anymore.

I don't recall the cost but it wasn't significantly higher than having regular gutters installed. In any case, there are so many variables (height of the house, how many angles and corners, etc.) you probably need to have someone come out and look at your house in person to get an idea of how much it will be. Leafguard says on their website they do free estimates, I would expect most other companies do the same thing.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 AM

I wondering if we are taking hundreds or thousands to get these gutter covers. I have a 2200 square foot ranch and had new gutters put on about 8 years ago and the cost was around $800. I tried different covers and had no luck, sticks and leaves would always seem to accumulate and need to cleaned manually. The ads for some of the major dealers (Gutter Helmet or Leaf Guard) say you can save up to $750, so that tells me they are not cheap. No one mentions a cost per foot.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine are the cross laced wire style that go on top of the drip edge and get fastened to the leading edge of the gutter. When I had mine installed, I think the gutter company charged $2/foot to install them but they clean out your gutters before they put them on. Some of the best money I've ever spent on my house!

I also have them on the gutter on the tree house, you can see them in this picture.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	333969  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978