Old 07-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default What's the best way to remove my GTO exhaust

What is my best way to remove my GTO exhaust system in case I want to reuse it. It only was used for 100 miles before I took the car off of the road. The U clamps left indents in the pipes which make it hard to separate.

Thanks
Jax

Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only one way to get them apart that I know of, and that would be heating the joints red hot with a torch. When you have it hot wiggle the pipe in a circle so it takes the crease out of the muffler neck and when the crimp is out they should pull apart. You may have to heat them more than once depending how fast you work and how deep the crease is.

I worked in a exhaust shop plus turned wrenches for close to 45 years and this is how I would take them apart.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 AM

Depending upon what your looking for in your final outcome and what tools you have available to you. Back in the days when I would have to go scavenging for parts to keep my wheels on the road I would cut a slit in the tailpipe with a saw up to the indent made by muffler clamp then bang a screwdriver up the cut spreading the pipe remove the pipe insert the new pipe bang the spreaded material closed sometimes throw a stitch weld on it clamp it up and I would be doing burnouts that night.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgto366 View Post
Depending upon what your looking for in your final outcome and what tools you have available to you. Back in the days when I would have to go scavenging for parts to keep my wheels on the road I would cut a slit in the tailpipe with a saw up to the indent made by muffler clamp then bang a screwdriver up the cut spreading the pipe remove the pipe insert the new pipe bang the spreaded material closed sometimes throw a stitch weld on it clamp it up and I would be doing burnouts that night.
Damn man,

I forgot that tip. I have too many tools here. The only thing I am missing is a lift and I have to fill my Acetylene and ArgonCO2 tanks. I lent a buddy my full 35cf Acetylene tank and he left it open, I needed it yesterday and it was empty.
My pipes from exhaust manifold to tips are almost new. I was thinking about Headers and Magnaflow but I can do that in the future. I spent a lot on parts for the GTO.

Thanks
Jax

Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgto366 View Post
I am at a point where I can see the full exhaust system. Every connecting part was welded on and no c clamps were used.
I am thinking about cutting one of the pipes (on both sides) that come off the exhaust manifold as it goes from the exhaust manifold on the motor to the muffler. It must be 4 feet long. If I cut it I can then buy a coupler and C clamp it back together when I am done.

Thanks
Jax

Old 08-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a good way to go. Would you be putting the exhaust on at the end of the restoration or at the beginning? It may make a difference on how you could maneuver the exhaust into place.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I remember, you are removing your body from the bad frame. I am thinking that you might be able to remove the exhaust without cutting anything. Once your body is off the old frame and out of the way, you should be able to undo it at the manifolds, and take it out one side at a time, and lay in place on your new frame before you drop the body on. I know I did this years ago, but maybe I am forgetting something.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
If I remember, you are removing your body from the bad frame. I am thinking that you might be able to remove the exhaust without cutting anything. Once your body is off the old frame and out of the way, you should be able to undo it at the manifolds, and take it out one side at a time, and lay in place on your new frame before you drop the body on. I know I did this years ago, but maybe I am forgetting something.
I am kind of stuck here. I removed all of the exhaust manifold bolts except for one on each side. Before I touched them someone had stripped the heads of the bolts round. I am going to try to get them out when the motor is in the air with my cherry picker but I am doubtful.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jax

Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have an Easy Pull tool set. It clamps to each pipe, and using a threaded rod, pulls the pipes apart. Works well.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On the rounded off exhaust bolts, there are a couple of things that have worked for me- Channel locks and vice grips. Sometimes you can hammer a socket on to the head. Guys with more skills have been known to grind a couple of flat edges onto the head to give the socket something to grab. Other guys have tack welded a good nut on there.
I suppose you could also use a wheel and cut a notch in the collar

Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Whenever I want to remove my exhaust system, I just drive over a tall speed bump. Another method is to build up some speed, leave the car in gear and turn off the ignition and coast for awhile, allowing the pipes to fill with gasoline. Turn on the ignition again, and VOILA'! No more exhaust. (Just a confession of a couple of stupid things I've done with cars in my days. Actually the exhaust stayed on the car after the backfire, except the muffler shell blew clean off. The speed bump did a pretty good job STARTING the removal process.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it possible the french locks are still on the bolt heads?
After a couple of decades, those tabs really blend in.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Flame wrench..

Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Is it possible the french locks are still on the bolt heads?
After a couple of decades, those tabs really blend in.
I had this system put in 100 miles ago