Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 AM

Default '63 Manual steering box

Question:
I am asking this before I've attempted anything...
Getting ready to remove the steering box from the frame to clean it up and was wondering how the steering shaft is removed from the box? Is there a trick to this? Thanks for the help in advance...

Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Senior Chief

I think that's the pitman arm. Any good puller will work.
A little penetrating oil (PB Blaster etc) will help but usually they come off pretty easily! John

Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks John-
I found pics on Ebay on what I am referring to. I'm assuming that the steering wheel shaft doesn't just pop out of the steering box with a tug...or does it? I'm assuming it has some type of "C" type clamp similar to an axle holding it inside that has to be pulled out...
Again-I haven't tackled this yet and was wanting input before I do...

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-TEMPEST...1bdd73&vxp=mtr

Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 PM

The previous owner of my car removed the steering shaft from the manual gearbox by cutting the shaft with a torch... I haven't picked at the box too much, but there didn't appear at a glance to be any way to get the remaining stub piece of the shaft out of there. I haven't messed with it since I wasn't going to use that box anyway, but it did strike me that there had to be some way (other than the torch) to get that apart.

Good luck. I'll be curious to see the answer.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The steering box/steering column shaft comes out the bottom of the box by removing the large diameter lower worm gear bearing adjuster. The adjuster is held in position with a large diameter lock nut. The upper part of the shaft from the steering wheel down is the "same diameter" which will slide thru the upper box bearing seal and on out thru the box. Note the shaft has a band about 1/4" wide about an inch out of the box. That "band" is an enlarged diameter of the shaft but it is not too big to pass thru the upper box bearing seal when re-assembling the box after repairs.

P.S. Manual and "power steering" boxes are the same. Pitman arms are different. And, I think there was no "quick steering ratio" box offered as a factory option for these cars.