Old 10-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Senior Chief

Default 73 Trans Am 455 for sale (not mine)

The add reads: Rare 1973 Pontiac Firebird TA, 455 cu in, 400 TH, 12 bolt. All original and complete. Off road since 1980. For restoration.

Owner confirmed it has been sitting outside for years but is complete and virtually untouched. Red on black.

Requested other details but no reply as of yet.

What's it worth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73 TA.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	340565  

Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

12 bolt would not have been original - but desirable.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Curious to see what it's worth too as I have one in a little better shape than that I'd like to sell also. Mine has the original 8.5 inch 3.08 rear axle in it and hasn't seen the road since 1980 either. Originally red on white, 455 NM, T 400 NM, new GM fenders and quarters installed in 1979 and then painted black. It currently has 71 455 HO heads on it, 191 castings, also have the original stock D port heads for it and intake as well as the original Q jet, engine needs rebuilt. It's not rust free but I'm sure it's not as rusty as the one pictured above. Has new GM flares and front spoiler that I had installed in 79 with it too.

Has suspension mods such as solid upper A frame bushings, solid rear spring eye bushings, solid subframe to body bushings. Nylon bushing sway bar links battery relocated to trunk and the Herb Adams front spring hanger modification for anti squat. It had all new 3 way adjustable shocks in 79, most likely are no good at this time. I built the car to handle like a Go Kart and it did that and I also auto crossed it and won regional first place with it.

Mines not cherry, but more than likely it's better than the one pictured. I don't have to sell it, but I have no inside storage for it since last year in August and would like to sell it to someone that appreciates these cars and has a garage to keep it out of the weather. It's no doubt a project that I don't have time, money or the inclination to do at this point in life.

I'd sell it with, or without the HO heads and Holley Street Dominator intake for a difference in price accordingly.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Judge View Post
The add reads: Rare 1973 Pontiac Firebird TA, 455 cu in, 400 TH, 12 bolt. All original and complete. Off road since 1980. For restoration.

Owner confirmed it has been sitting outside for years but is complete and virtually untouched. Red on black.

Requested other details but no reply as of yet.

What's it worth?
3k?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 PM

Brad
Does yours have air conditioning?
Thanks Joe

Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORBIT 433 View Post
Brad
Does yours have air conditioning?
Thanks Joe
Yes, it has air, no compressor though, everything but the compressor is there. Car is well equipped, but doesn't have cruise control. I'm not sure why they ordered it with so many options, and no cruise.

Windows, door locks, tilt, rear window defogger, rear console, it's cracked though, deluxe interior. The stitching in the drivers bottom seat cushion is split, other than that the interior is pretty good looking for being 40 years old. Car has 19,450 miles on it now, it had 17,000 on it when I bought it in 1978.

Rust, the car has hole in drivers door bottom skin, and passenger rocker panel. Has a hole in each floor board in the pinch welded the seam where the firewall meets the floor pan. There is rust in the area where there are layers of sheet metal in the front of the rear frame rails next to the spring hangers mount, might need both rails replaced or at least repaired. The hood has rust on the inside and outside and would need either a repop, or a good used hood.

This is the same problem all the 73-74 GM cars had with bad imported sheet metal during this period that were in the rust belt. In only 5 years the quarters, rear valance and trunk drop off were rusting through and the reason I replaced a bunch of the sheet metal in 79 with new GM metal. Whatever is still original 73 metal is where the rust is now, mostly in pinch welded seams. I've owned a 73 GTO, a Grand Am and this T/A and they all rusted through in various places where there were pinch welds in under 5 years.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
12 bolt would not have been original - but desirable.
Seller wants 8k but still not many further details other than the 12 bolt could be a 10 bolt and not many options.