THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up Happy Veterans Day...

To all who served.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Dad, Navy WWII vet. Served as an electricians mate in the Philippines at the end of the war.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Jones For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Salute Danang 69 70

The Following User Says Thank You to Txbobcat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Senior Chief

Happy Veteran's Day to all my fellow vets past and present

Old 11-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank YOU Bob. Those of your dedication made it possible for many of us Leathernecks to celebrate and honor this day.

Sgt J.O. Butcher USMC
Viet Nam, Class of '69

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A heartfelt "Thank You" to all that have served our nation.....especially Sgt. E.E. Hicks, Jr., Easy Battery, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines (Korea 1952-1954).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Happy Veteran's Day to all vets.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:42 PM
PY VIP

The older I get the more I think about Veterans and Veterans Day being one myself....

Never thought much about it as a kid of 18-19 stationed in Vietnam 1966-67....besides being bummed missing my girlfriends high school graduation (now my wife). She was 2 years behind me in high school and heck of lot smarter.

Vietnam never registered as a "war" among politicians viewed as a "conflict" yet 50,000 plus lost their lives.....now we wear sneakers made in Vietnam....

Went to dinner tonite at Applebees.....lots of Vets in attendance nice to see many older ones accompanied by their adult kids WW2 and Korean Vets....

On the plus side serving in the military makes you grow up awful fast....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

PS: I still have my dog tag attached to the keys I carry every day.....

Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

I enlisted in the Marines because I wanted to serve. Not for a thank you, and not for a free dinner at Applebees. It was something I felt that I had to do for myself and my country.

Now it's almost 20 years since I got out of the Marines and I am very happy to hear about all the people thanking veterans. I love hearing that a company like Applebees is offering free dinners to veterans. It's an effort to say thanks for the things that veterans have seen and done. For the time away from family and friends, for the sacrifices made by veterans and their families.

I have my college degree, a good job, 2 great kids, and yet the single greatest accomplishment of my life is the day I earned the title of US Marine.

To all those who have served and those currently serving, thank you!

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 PM
PY VIP

Just want to clear up my comments about Applebees....I also enlisted way back in 1966. The Vietnam conflict was not a popular war at the time compared to other wars/conflicts. As any Vietnam vet can attest to the country was not 100% behind the war.

On several occasions I have bought dinners for men I have seen in uniform as I have traveled around the USA on business. I am grateful I served. I learned alot since I was not only a Photographer but the editor for the 17th Aviation Group in Nha Trang.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis kirban View Post
Just want to clear up my comments about Applebees....I also enlisted way back in 1966. The Vietnam conflict was not a popular war at the time compared to other wars/conflicts. As any Vietnam vet can attest to the country was not 100% behind the war.

On several occasions I have bought dinners for men I have seen in uniform as I have traveled around the USA on business. I am grateful I served. I learned alot since I was not only a Photographer but the editor for the 17th Aviation Group in Nha Trang.

denniskirban@yahoo.com
I didn't mean to suggest that you were sucking up a free meal.

I remember back in 1992 just after returning from Desert Storm, a group of us were flying from the east coast back to Camp Pendleton. Back then we flew in uniform. We had a layover in Chicago so we popped into an airport bar to have a beer. While we were standing there enjoying our beer and talking, an older man in a suit walked in and ordered a drink. When he was finished his drink, he walked over to where we were standing and dropped a $100.00 bill on the bar in front of us. He said drinks are on me boys, so naturally we said thank you. He said "no, thank YOU" and walked out. It's one of those life experiences I'll never forget.

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear