The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Remove hard water stains

Not really a body work question but desperately need help. Recently purchased a Lemans that was painted about a year ago. Previous owner had a spot on quarter panel fixed before we closed the deal. I checked in on the car at the body shop and noticed one of the workers was washing the car in direct sunlight with soap and water. I don't think he wiped the car down either. There are now many water spots on trunk lid and hood that if you look in the light at the right angle you can see. I washed the car then clayed the surface and tried a polish with little success.

Is there some "magic" to getting the water spots out or does it have to be sanded and buffed again?

Mark C

Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try some Meguires cleaner wax or 3M Finesset polish.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd try white vinegar before sanding and buffing it, this is something detailers use to get off water spots, it was discussed on here a few months ago.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=white+vinegar

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try Meguiar's Quick Detailer. It always works on water spots on my red GTO. I find it works best when the paint is warm from the sun. It's a cheap and easy first try at a fix.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
Try some Meguires cleaner wax
This works for me on paint, as well. I'm concerned that you clayed the paint, and that didn't help it - that really should have done the trick.

My wife always parks her car near the sprinklers, so her alloy wheels are horribly stained. I'll try vinegar on those...

Old 11-20-2013, 01:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Read a very good thread on AutoGeek from a professional detailer. What I have is more than just water spots. The spots are actually etched into the clear coat. This can happen when water spots contain harmful contaminants are chemicals.

The first step is to determine one of three levels of spotting. The first is the easiest to deal with and can be treated with light cleaning/polishing products and or Vinegar. In all cases the first step is to wash the car and clay the surface. The clay will remove particles and contaminants on top of the clearcoat. It is important to clay the surface before any polishing so you don't "rub" in dirt or particles laying on top of the clearcoat. If the problem is not resolved the next step is to go to a mild compound that will "abrade" the surface. At this point the water spot has begun to etch into the clearcoat and is below the top surface. The third and most sever case is the requirement to use more abrasive compounds to remove the etching.

Unfortunately mine is of the worst type. I did the first 2 steps with very little success. The third step "fixed" some of the spotting but I still may need to use a more abrasive compound for the worst spots. I have been using Meguiars Ultra Compound and am going to try Meguiars 105 cutting compound. Note I am doing this by hand and not using a machine. I don't like the mess a machine creates and want to try and remove as little material as possible to fix the problem.

Mark C

Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try some salt & water not a paste , more like a brine . It will release any minerals from hard water , same way a water softener works when the brine cleans the beads in the tank . Will not harm the paint , as long as all salt is dissolved , then rinse well .

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the tip.

Mark C