Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 PM

Default '76 Grand Prix On Remote Maui Cliff Edge

Hey Guys,

I just returned from a vacation in Hawaii. On one of my driving trips/hikes around the northwest "head" of Maui I located wrecked/junked '76 Grand Prix remains on a very remote edge of a high cliff above the ocean. It was mentioned in a guidebook...to hike to a location where the car would be found. The hike to get to the car was about 1/4 mile from the road and somewhat treacherous. I finally located it. Attached are photos.

Nobody knows how the car got there. It would have been impossible to have been driven, hauled or towed to the spot it was on. Only way would have been if a helicopter plopped it down.

Many of the sheet metal parts are gone. The engine is pretty much all there. Can't find much more information about the car but man was it cool. The pictures don't do it justice.

If anyone knows more about how and why the car was put there, many would love to know.

PS: The info I read didn't mention the year but the taillight is clearly from a '76. One of the photo's shows the back of the tail light which I believe is the only year it had that type of shape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB120623.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	343640

Name:	PB120630.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	343641

Name:	PB120620.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	343642

Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 76 GP

Maybe it was on a Hawaii 5-O or Magnum PI show? LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to blubomber For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 04:49 PM

That's entirely possible. Had to be some kind of commercialized reason to put the car there although one would think the State of Hawaii would insist that the car be removed once it served its purpose there.

A lot of helicopters do buzz the airways there due to sightseeing tours and the like.

My wife thought I was nuts to hike a 1/4 mile on a treacherous trail to see an old Pontiac. She sat in the car and waited and then got worried when I didn't return as soon as she thought I should have, fearing I perhaps fell off a cliff or something looking for the junk car mess...lol.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 AM
Senior Chief

CBS didn't film their shows on Maui, I am thinking it's an old wreck.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No matter how it got there, it is still very cool! Thanks for sharing Mark.

-Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Makes ya wonder why the hell didn't they use a chevy?

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 PM

Could be a junk but how and why did it get there is the mystery. I had to walk up a steep incline full of large volcanic boulders to get to the sight. As I had said, it is completely impossible for the car to have been driven, towed or hauled to the site it was on.

I've located some other photo's of the car on the internet. One that has the car more complete and with two tires on the spot rather than the one that is now there. Would love to find older photo's.