Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 AM

I bought a TATA about 12 years ago. It was restored somewhat. The paint job was very well done. The problem was that they used a donor car for the interior so it was black interior. I paid 9,500 for it. I put about another 3,000 in to bring the interior back to original silver leather. It is the less rare Auto 403. I still think it could bring me a profit if I wanted to sell it. (I don't). I don't know if the engine is the original or not. The guy said it was, but I have not been able to confirm. I looked for the number on the block, but can't seem to find it. It runs good, but I still want to pull it and either rebuild it, or replace it. Even if it is just a repaint and re gasket rebuild. It is starting to leak from sitting in the garage so much. I probably only put a couple thousand miles on it in the 12 years I owned it. I think they will continue to go up in value even with the 403. It is what Pontiac put in at the factory, so it is still a Pontiac. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 PM

If i am correct i believe your T/A is the one that got coverage this past year in Hemmings Muscle Mag.One beautiful T/A. I have a 79 ,the same color combo,options(with defogger) $9446 and change on the window sticker.That's with the $178 delete for the 301 cu engine. Need I say more.My car is a nice driver/survivor and is ALL Pontiac. I think my car would be worth even less than a 403 car in equal condition.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MNBob, my co-worker's '79 TA 400 4 speed was slow compared to my tripower '65 and '66 4 speed GTO's and his own 'other' car, a '69 SS396 Chevelle with a 4 speed. Compared to the early '80's offerings of other makes, yes, it was a LOT quicker/faster than the '79-'82 Corvette, Z-28 Camaro, etc. It still had that famous 'Pontiac Torque'!! (and it was a very nice road car. Much more refined than my old GTO's)

Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrider View Post
I don't know if the engine is the original or not. The guy said it was, but I have not been able to confirm. I looked for the number on the block, but can't seem to find it.
Here is where the 403 engine number is. That's the front of the driver side head:

Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
MNBob, my co-worker's '79 TA 400 4 speed was slow compared to my tripower '65 and '66 4 speed GTO's and his own 'other' car, a '69 SS396 Chevelle with a 4 speed. Compared to the early '80's offerings of other makes, yes, it was a LOT quicker/faster than the '79-'82 Corvette, Z-28 Camaro, etc. It still had that famous 'Pontiac Torque'!! (and it was a very nice road car. Much more refined than my old GTO's)
Actually the 1979 TA W72 cars had just as fast quarter mile times as the 65/66 GTO's and the 69 SS396 cars. I guess it all depends upon which tests you wanted to consider valid or not and which cars you favor to be" quicker".

A lot of it depended on the driver.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:05 AM

I looked and what I see (pic added) does not look right. It looks like the numbers are upside down and not lined up right. My serial # on my car ends in 149791. Is that the number that should be on the original block? If so, then it looks like it is not the original.
Thanks for the help.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the last 6 numbers of the engine number should agree with your VIN to be the original engine. So, yours doesn't look like it matches.