Old 12-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Solid Red Oil Light

Had the oil changed just a little while ago with 10W-30 pensoil. Noticed after a short drive last week the oil light flickered but went out when I gave it gas. Today its a solid red oil light no matter how much gas I give it. It's got the full amount of oil.

Any ideas?

Thanks Guys

Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove the oil pressure sensor and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to verify oil pressure. You need to know if you really do have no oil pressure or if you simply have a defective oil pressure sending unit for the light. Do NOT drive the car until you verify that you HAVE oil pressure. It could be a simple sender, or an engine teardown, depending on your findings.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Remove the oil pressure sensor and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to verify oil pressure. You need to know if you really do have no oil pressure or if you simply have a defective oil pressure sending unit for the light. Do NOT drive the car until you verify that you HAVE oil pressure. It could be a simple sender, or an engine teardown, depending on your findings.
Exactly ^^^

First thing I would do is check the oil and look for metal shimmer in it. Pull the filter and cut it open to see if there's bearing material in there.

Like was said above, It could be the little sending unit.....or you could have knocked some bearings out of it. I wouldn't start it again until you have a mechanical gauge hooked up to verify oil pressure.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 12-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with the above (Use either a mechanical gauge right where the existing sending unit attaches (on the housing that holds the oil filter) or if you can cheaply source another sending unit, swap it out and compare.)

But also look for missing/melting insulation on the sending unit wire. I have also seen the connector loosen up and come off the terminal on the sending unit and when it touches the engine, on goes the oil lite.

Let us know what you find...

Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh and I should add...the red light on the dash isn't a reminder for oil volume. It's oil pressure. If you are a quart low and pressure is fine, the red light won't come on. If you're full but pressure is bad the red light comes on.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Solid Red Oil Light

you just changed the oil and filter? check to see if you have the right oil filter, just a thought jd grim 66 gto

Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check again and make sure there's oil in it. Don't laugh. I've seen guys swear they put oil in after an oil change but when they looked again... they hadn't. Be safe and recheck it.

I hope the above isn't the case but hey.... better safe than sorry.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
But also look for missing/melting insulation on the sending unit wire. I have also seen the connector loosen up and come off the terminal on the sending unit and when it touches the engine, on goes the oil lite....
So if the wire is pulled off, the dash light stays unlit (unless the wire is grounded)?
This could eliminate a faulty printed circuit on the back of the cluster.

I think it's most likely a faulty sending unit.
A poor mans test would be to hold the nozzle of a clear plastic bottle over the tap hole while an assistant cranks the engine. Disable the ignition first.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before the change, were you also using 10w30?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Suspended

If you do it the cheap way & pull the sender off & put a bottle over the hole remember if you have good oi pressure it will come out fast enough to blow the bottle out of your hand to so hold on tight. But make sure the correct filter was put on & make sure you still have oil in the crank case to. If they put the wrong filter on it can blow all your oil out in just a mile or so. Aslo Make sure the wire for the sender is on FIRST. The light will come on & stay on if it's not connected.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Aslo Make sure the wire for the sender is on FIRST. The light will come on & stay on if it's not connected.
No, it won't. Ground from the sender is what turns on the light. No ground, no current flow, no light.

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzFla View Post
Had the oil changed just a little while ago with 10W-30 pensoil. Noticed after a short drive last week the oil light flickered but went out when I gave it gas. Today its a solid red oil light no matter how much gas I give it. It's got the full amount of oil.

Any ideas?

Thanks Guys
Please keep us posted. "Inquiring minds want to know".

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks guys-- yes, always used 10w-30. What gets me is the flicker it did when I pulled into the garage to park and when I gave it gas it went out. And as I said a few days later I started it and solid red light so I just turned it off.

I will go get a mechanical gauge and get a reading on Christmas Eve so I will let you know what I find.

Any trick I should know about pulling the sensor and hooking up a mechanical gauge?

Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not really any trick to it. It's just that the fittings are different. It will only take a few seconds to get oil flowing thru the tube to the mechanical gauge. I only use a mechanical oil gauge so I know the oil pressure at all times. I have mine mounted under the dash with a temp gauge and a volt gauge. Old school yes, but at least you know what's going on at all times.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could also pull the distributor and use a drill to check the oil pressure without having to start the engine. You still have to hook up a mechanical gauge. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you don't mind pulling the distributor, that would also eliminate whether the drive tang on the bottom of the shaft broke.
Don't know if that's less common than an outright pump failure.

What year/engine are we talking about?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are your lifters clacking? If not, you're probably fine (assuming you're running hydraulic lifters). Most likely the sending unit failed and everything else is fine.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM

OK I pulled the sensor and put in a mechanical oil pressure gauge as suggested and the pressure shot to about 70 at idle.

So I take it must be the sensor as you guys stated. Ordered one from AMES.

I did have to go to the parts store twice to get the right socket to get the sensor out but worth it.

Can't thank you guys enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to RazzFla For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great news!

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Suspended

If you want to be safe , you can get a TEE & put the sensor in one side of it & put the gauge in the other ,& that way you'll have both so at a glance you'll know you have good oil pressure at all times if your under the hood. If you do it that way you'll have the gauge to be able to look at while your under the hood , But you still have your light on the dash if anything were to happen again. Glad to hear there was nothing wrong. Thats always a good thing so now you can have a Happy Holidays