The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New epoxy primer/Chassis black paint system

Heres the question: Suppose a paint company developed a new 2k epoxy primer/urethane topcoat system for frame, suspension, undercarraige,firewalls, other small parts but was designed to be brushed and/or rolled on rather than sprayed. The advantage to the average home restorer would be not having to set-up some type of makeshift spray booth every time you wanted to paint something, not to mention the potential safety hazard, along with spray dust everywhere, etc. The potential downside would be maybe not as good of an appearance (brushmarks), two coating everything with sufficient dry time between coats, certainly a slower application. Paint usage would be less than spraying, coating durability would not suffer as compared to spraying, certainly less waste solvent for the home restorer to dispose of. The initial thought was maybe a black and a grey primer, and maybe 3 topcoats (high-gloss and semi-gloss black and perhaps a silver or "cast grey" type topcoat). Research dollars would be dedicated to developing products that would flow out to minimize "brushmarks" at the expense of dry time(probably looking at something along the lines of "overnight to handle" dry time). All comments welcome, but I am especially interested in whether or not you, as an average "home-restorer" thinks there is a market for this ,rather than "Yeah,I'll buy a gallon". Thanks in advance for all replies.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds great keep us posted.
one thing to remember is that thick spots will still want to outgas and bubble.
work on that too.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm thinking that as well as researching flow rates, maybe testing different roller material types. In rolling primer, I've always used a 4" foam roller with rounded ends and still fight "snowplowing". Definitely a good concept to research! irgoatmike

Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Senior Chief

Kinda like a semi-gloss garage floor epoxy?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Senior Chief

Like the idea!
Even better would be an actual 2 part or catylized spray bomb that mixes at the spray tip. Maybe a double cylinder can. Kind of like how they spray urethane foam insulation for inside houses..only in a spray can type setup.
I'd pay $20+ a can for something as durable as epoxy, with the easy set up and use of a spray can

Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunas73TA View Post
Like the idea!
Even better would be an actual 2 part or catylized spray bomb that mixes at the spray tip. Maybe a double cylinder can. Kind of like how they spray urethane foam insulation for inside houses..only in a spray can type setup.
I'd pay $20+ a can for something as durable as epoxy, with the easy set up and use of a spray can
Alsa already has that system

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It would be great to have something like this, I'm pretty much stuck with what to do on my car right now as far as undercarriage. The only real other issue I have is availability over the counter. I don't have the paint equipment handy at all to paint the undercarriage so my options are very limited.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only issue I see is the VOC of epoxy products. Most of this stuff cant be bought over the counter in a lot of states (PA) without owning a buisness. Ive tried.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Default PAINT EXPERIMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint guy View Post
Heres the question: Suppose a paint company developed a new 2k epoxy primer/urethane topcoat system for frame, suspension, undercarraige,firewalls, other small parts but was designed to be brushed and/or rolled on rather than sprayed. The advantage to the average home restorer would be not having to set-up some type of makeshift spray booth every time you wanted to paint something, not to mention the potential safety hazard, along with spray dust everywhere, etc. The potential downside would be maybe not as good of an appearance (brushmarks), two coating everything with sufficient dry time between coats, certainly a slower application. Paint usage would be less than spraying, coating durability would not suffer as compared to spraying, certainly less waste solvent for the home restorer to dispose of. The initial thought was maybe a black and a grey primer, and maybe 3 topcoats (high-gloss and semi-gloss black and perhaps a silver or "cast grey" type topcoat). Research dollars would be dedicated to developing products that would flow out to minimize "brushmarks" at the expense of dry time(probably looking at something along the lines of "overnight to handle" dry time). All comments welcome, but I am especially interested in whether or not you, as an average "home-restorer" thinks there is a market for this ,rather than "Yeah,I'll buy a gallon". Thanks in advance for all replies.
HEY PAINT GUY I DID A LITTLE EXPERIMENT ON CHASSIS A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN MY COMPRESSOR BROKE I HAD A FRIENDS CHASSIS AT MY HOUSE READY TO PAINT AND MY COMPRESSOR BROKE SO I DID NOT WANT TO WAIT FOR PARTS FOR THE COMPRESSOR TO ARRIVE SO I DID A LITTLE EXPERIMENT. I GOT A GALLON OF I THINK IT WAS MAR HYDE CHASSIS BLACK THE SATIN BLACK I BRUSHED ON 2 COATS ON THE FRAME RAIL WHICH I HAD SANDED WITH 600 WET I TOOK A HAIR DRYER AND PUT IT TO THE FRAME RAIL MOVING BACK AND FORTH WITH A 24 INCH BOX FAN JUST BEHIND ME WHEN IT DRIED ALMOST LOOKED LIKED I SPRAYED IT I BET ONCE HE PUTS HIS BODY BACK ON IT WILL LOOK SPRAYED AS A MATTER OF FACT WHEN I TOLD HIM I BRUSHED IT HE LAUGHED THOUGHT I WAS KIDDING ITS JUST A DRIVER BUT IT TURNED OUT PRETTY NICE AFTER GOING THROUGH MANY DIFFERENT BRUSHES AND ROLLERS THE MOHAIR ROLLERS I THINK THERE CALLED THAT I USE FOR CUSTOM CONCRETE FINISHES WORKED THE BEST AND THE HORSEHAIR BRUSHES

Last edited by hobi; 01-13-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Up here in Canada, the 'Rust' paint that we can buy at Home Depot, Lowes ...etc is called Tremclad, the same as your 'Rustoleum'. It can be purchased in a variety of colors in a spray bomb, and/or in a liquid can for brushing on. (1 litre/pint or quart and 1 gallon sizes) 1 gallon sells for about $30

I have read on this forum that this paint can be reduced, and sprayed to give a very durable and original looking finish. (you can mix the gloss black with the flat black to get your preferred sheen) When I have used this paint for small items, it does leave brush marks, but I think if the paint were reduced, that may eliminate the brush marks as the paint will 'run' and create a smooth surface. I have not used a foam roller, but I think that would help as well.

I did spray 4 steel wheels with reduced Tremclad, and it turned out great. It took a day or 2 to dry, but it covered well, and looks fine.

The sound of "epoxy 2K" sounds great, as we all think of a hard surface that is durable, however, the Tremclad/Rustoleum products that are out there are very good, and it will be very difficult to beat the price.

I will be painting my frame in the Spring and have not yet decided if I will spray or brush, but I do plan on using the Rust paint from Tremclad. I noticed that they also make a primer, for about $30 a gallon (in red oxide or grey) and I am trying to decide if the primer is necessary.

I not trying to discourage you, but from what I see that is available, I believe that we (home restorers) have a decent product already, that we can brush on, or reduce and spray.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why can't existing 2K epoxy be applied with a brush? I've done it in several locations I could not get to with a spray gun. Granted there were brush marks.....

1970 Oshawa built 1 option Judge. 24 year restoration/upgrade project finally finished!

1979 Trans Am - low-buck drag car project for when I retire