Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tie Rods ...good or bad

I'm examining my tie rods to see if they need replacement. They move snuggly in their sockets like you would expect ...but I notice that the actual tapered shaft also moves in the "ball" of the tie rod. The ball has an oval hole where the tapered shaft goes through it, and there is movement of the tapered shaft in that oval slot, before the whole ball moves. Is this normal? All four of them behave the same way. Nothing is flopping around or loose.
JohnnyB

Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Come on somebody ..go out there and wiggle your old rods

JohnnyB

Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 AM
Suspended

If you can move the post of the rod in the hole of the opening where it's attached it' more then BAD.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It hard to explain ...it pivots in this hole, it doesn't wiggle. If you were to hold the tapered shaft in a vise and try to move the tie rod 90 degrees perpendecular, it will not move, it will however, pivot in the main ball a limited amount, before the main ball moves. The oval shaft slot in the ball would lead me to believe it's supposed to move a limited amount in this ball (it has to of course to work since the tapered shaft is locked into another part that moves when you steer). The oval hole only allows it to move in axis in the ball before it moves the whole ball.

I'll take some good pictures to show what I mean. Either it's meant to move, or it's mounting hole in the main ball is hogged out from wear, which seems really unlikely considering how smoothly these move. If the gease seal was still in place you'd never even realize it was happening. I've just never noticed it before.

They don't feel worn at all ...but yes, if that shaft is NOT supposed to move like that, then yes, it would be more than worn out.
JohnnyB

Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We used to test tie rods by first greasing them then take channel locks and squeeze them up with moderate pressure. Much more than a 1/4 inch movement is getting worn out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Txbobcat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent...there's a test I can understand.
JohnnyB