Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Got the PHS today on my 71, thoughts

Got my PHS today on my 71 Esprit. Most I knew, but a couple of surprises. Have a vanity mirror, guess I never flipped the passenger visor down since getting car last fall(!) Also did not know I had custom seat belts, should have realized the buckles were different. Weren't the belts color matched to interior on custom? Since I have tuxedo interior, they matched the black part with black belts.

Car has 17 options. Those on top of Esprit package which gave all the shiny trim (belt reveal, drip, and wheel lip moldings), along with custom interior, etc.

Also seems car had door edge guards long gone with repaint. Like vinyl top removed also.

Interesting to me was suggested retail price of $5159.93. Wasn't that in TA territory? What are some retail costs of you guys 71 TA's? Now if only it would have appreciated in value like the TA's, haha.

My 72 F400 PHS shows retail of $4073.20, almost 1100 less, for a year newer, for reference.

What do you think the odds are this was a dealer lot car vs a customer ordered car? Does anywhere on PHS tell this? Seems a weird dealer order car, white on white on white.

Another interesting thing to me was AM / FM was one option, rear stereo speaker was a second.

Also after reading up on comfortweave in other thread, I dig mine even more!

Thanks again Matt if you read this!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default your PHS

the buckles themselves are what is different than standard..I thought it strange that the upscale Esprit did not come with them standard...car does sound expensive...I believe my 72 topped out at $4800 with air and some real good options..I am certain others with more information will know..reminds me to order a new P.H.S. as it is lost...white on white on the early cars is an extremely nice combo!..wait..black seats?..I do not understand?...I kinda prefer the perforated vinyl myself...actually 2 complete differant looks...and the seats inserts match the door panels..I have always preferred the deluxe interior over the standard...that is why I am upgrading on my 72..but 71s don't have honeycomb grills!!!!

Last edited by transam1972; 02-12-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...the AM FM must be a radio and not stereo hence only the front speaker....

curious what your Esprit has for the rear package shelf,is it the deluxe mesh type or the cardboard type???

Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam1972 View Post
the buckles themselves are what is different than standard..I thought it strange that the upscale Esprit did not come with them standard...car does sound expensive...I believe my 72 topped out at $4800 with air and some real good options..I am certain others with more information will know..reminds me to order a new P.H.S. as it is lost...white on white on the early cars is an extremely nice combo!..wait..black seats?..I do not understand?...I kinda prefer the perforated vinyl myself...actually 2 complete differant looks...and the seats inserts match the door panels..I have always preferred the deluxe interior over the standard...that is why I am upgrading on my 72..but 71s don't have honeycomb grills!!!!
It has white seats, I meant the belts matched the black console and carpet and dash. The door panels on mine have inserts that match the seats.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
It has white seats, I meant the belts matched the black console and carpet and dash. The door panels on mine have inserts that match the seats.
my 71 T/A has the same interior and the belts themselves are black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010534.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	352862  

The Following User Says Thank You to bossbirdta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbirdta View Post
...the AM FM must be a radio and not stereo hence only the front speaker....

curious what your Esprit has for the rear package shelf,is it the deluxe mesh type or the cardboard type???
It has the mesh type. Probably not available anymore, eh?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default package tray

it will definitely have mesh..and the Esprit has extra sound deadner...areas like behind the rear plastic seat panels and possibly in the roof..an Esprit was a nice step up from a base Firebird...LEGENDARY makes the best repop mesh...and no speaker covers!!!....stick & no console in the T/A..I like that look the best!!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

That was a fairly expensive car in 71 but with 17 options it was very luxurious sporty car.

Do you mind listing the options?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put repop (PUI) mesh package trays in BOTH my 70 F400 and 71 T/A a number of years ago..........and BOTH have already started to disintegrate....with minimal UV exposure.....

Just curious what the cost was on the legenday mesh tray?

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Deluxe belts were always optional, didn't just come standard with a custom interior. Have owned over a dozen '71 & 72 Esprits & only 3 of them had deluxe belts.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 02-13-2014 at 12:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Esprit, the most Popular second Gen Firebird ( top in sales) was a package of options, and usually why you never see one with 20+ options was because it came with so many "preferred" ones already. I had an Esprit with a list over $5,500

Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LEGENDARY MESH PACKAGE TRAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
I put repop (PUI) mesh package trays in BOTH my 70 F400 and 71 T/A a number of years ago..........and BOTH have already started to disintegrate....with minimal UV exposure.....

2MANYT/AS...you may want to consider adding rear window louvers to protect the rear package tray on your car....kidding!, I am sorry..I sometimes can not help myself!!..really LEGENDARY makes the nicest mesh package tray, I will get it out and post some pix..it was $74 and you can order it with or without the speaker cut outs...I also ordered the pre cut jute insulation for $22 that installs under the package tray for extra sound insulation...I also used a pre cut jute to install behind the rear seat..those carboard panels they sell are all wrong..by the time you cut it to fit ,theres nothing left..NJSTEVE posted a photo when he had his rear seat out of his 1973 Formula and he showed what the correct cardboard panel should look like..unfortunately that is not the design they sell..I find the jute works the best..and they also sell pre fit jute to go over the rear wheel wells in the rear seating area and then the rear plastic seating panels install over them...and they do sell a slightly more correct sound deadner for our cars..but the O.E.M. tar stuff was the best..some of my pieces are still in place..its the ones under the feet that did not last...I would love to pull an ESPRIT apart to find the extra sound insulation & deadner they talked about in the brochure!!

The Following User Says Thank You to transam1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabob View Post
That was a fairly expensive car in 71 but with 17 options it was very luxurious sporty car.
It cost more than my 71 HO/4spd convertible with 23 options and almost as much as my 72 convertible with 35 - both with AM/FM!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post

i wonder who's tray were buying? when we order one form one of the repop parts suppliers..........

Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Crazy stuff! The other options Esprit included beyond what I mentioned previously are dual horns. custom cushion wheel, hidden wipers and a couple more over base bird....

I'll scan and post PHS later tonight.

This no rust very original car is a keeper! I'll never get a tighter, better bird in my $$ world. I will tastefully add some hidden performance stuff, and the engine when done with the 70 dual inlet air cleaner will look factory to the untrained eye.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default deluxe belts

my 71 blue TA, has deluxe blue int, the deluxe belts, are blue.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Got my PHS today on my 71 Esprit. Most I knew, but a couple of surprises. Have a vanity mirror, guess I never flipped the passenger visor down since getting car last fall(!) Also did not know I had custom seat belts, should have realized the buckles were different. Weren't the belts color matched to interior on custom? Since I have tuxedo interior, they matched the black part with black belts. ...
If my memory serves me correct (and this goes for all the following), the belts changed during the 1972 model year;
The 1970-1972.5 delux belts were a brushed stainless buckle, and in some instances had colour matched belt material.

IIRC the items that made an Esprit a step up from the base were:
  • Recessed wipers
  • Dual 'sport' mirrors
  • rocker trim
  • deluxe interior
  • 'sport' steering wheel

I cannot be sure if the chrome dress up came standard with the Esprit, or if it was a deeply discounted option for that model...

I cannot be sure if the L30 (350/2bbl) was standard equipment in the 1971 Esprit;
I believe the 1970 Esprit still came with the inline six, and I believe that somewhere after 1970 the Esprit base engine stepped up to the L30.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default the other companys mesh tray

Click image for larger version

Name:	TOP LEGENDARY   BOTTEM PUI.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	352905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbirdta View Post
i wonder who's tray were buying? when we order one form one of the repop parts suppliers..........
...most likely P.U.I. and there are a few other trim companys out there..I do not mean to sound like a LEGENDARY INTERIORS salesman...but I have been very disappointed, and have lost money(like others) on the same,yet inferior parts...inside the car where parts are seen is too important...look at the wrinkles in this door panel comparison...and no one is giving these parts away...

Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you post PHS? Love to see that one!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default opion sheet list

if anyone can post an option sheet list that would great!..options on one car..can be standard on the next..I personaly like loaded cars..even small options like courtesy lights (hood,under dash glovebox & trunk)...standard on ESPRIT.. to me are neat things to have and I added them to my car..adding options can be a pain but I do not subscribe to the original build sheet...just because the first guy did not order power windows does not mean you cant have them..any car(and they did) could go back or by special request have options added..my car had so few options ordered with it...not even floor mats!..did they atleast come with something standard in place???..still would like to see an option sheet..thanks!!!