Old 02-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Where is Darth?

I haven't seen a post from Darth Menace in about a month now......not since
he was threatening to push his car off a nearby cliff. Just wondering how it's going
with him.......did he really give the car the heave ho? Darth, are you out there?

The Following User Says Thank You to gtohurstjudge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In looking back, it's actually only been a week, not a month, but it seems like forever as I was used to seeing six posts a day with various problems the car was having..
Darth are you making any progress?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe he stopped having problems ....naaahhh, no way

JohnnyB

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wasnt he talkin' about sellin' it?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm back...hahaha. We are like a squabbling married couple...taking some time apart from each other for a while....rethinking our relationship and where we want to end up. We will give it another try in a few days

Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1975pacer View Post
Wasnt he talkin' about sellin' it?
I was enquiring (inquiring???) about selling it. It wasn't on the market, but was seeing about how much I would lose. In the end I decided it's smarter for me to spend $2000 (example) to get it fixed up instead of sell it and lose $3000 (another example). I'm not desperate for the money, but there is no way I am getting this done by middle/end of March as planned

Old 02-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
In looking back, it's actually only been a week, not a month, but it seems like forever as I was used to seeing six posts a day with various problems the car was having..
I decided I have enough info for now to last me a while. I haven't worked on it in a while, so no quesitons have come up. They will though...hahah. I thought I'd give you guys a break...

Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
2.76 posts per day...not 6

Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Maybe he stopped having problems ....naaahhh, no way

JohnnyB
Me stop having problems? When I fix one I appreantly make another. I love going in circles

Old 02-07-2014, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hang in there Darth and don't give up

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
Hang in there Darth and don't give up
thanks, I will keep trucking away and then cave in and pay to get some stuff fixed I can't do on my own. Alot of it is time and bugging you guys (I think GTOhurstjudge either missed me, or was concerned I was in the car when I pushed it over the cliff). I looked over my to do list and a lot of it doesn't seem end of the world, but then again some does

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5wVZwdHmRY

Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most people here like helping out, (myself included) or nobody would bother posting!

None of us want to see you sell it and most are pulling for you to have it driving soon.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
Most people here like helping out, (myself included) or nobody would bother posting!

None of us want to see you sell it and most are pulling for you to have it driving soon.
I know you guys want me to succeed, and it will get done eventually...unfortunately longer than I thought. I have been a member of a lot of car forums (Mustang, Viper, Charger, Camaro, Shelby Cobra, here) through the years (I have never owned a Camaro or Shelby Cobra, but joined because I was looking into it). I haven't ever had a car that required this much work, but this is by far the most helpful car forum I've been on.

The Shleby Cobra one takes the cake as the most annoying...I started 2 posts asking different questions prior to buying one, and one guy just came and picked at everything I asked, as though I was suppose to know the info prior to asking it. If I knew the info asshole, why would I be asking it. By far the most obnoxious (end of rant).

Long story short I do come on forums and read even if I don't start posts. I just need to slow down on the "how to" threads so I don't feel overwhelmed and want to smash the car.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been there, before there were forums and I was only 22 running around with my car to each shop asking what's wrong and where did my power go? It's been 20 years and I haven't found it yet. The forum helped prevent me from paying the shops to do the same things I could do myself.

What I find is this forum has people on it that would climb in a car and come over and just help out and cross train. If we all lived in same city I'm sure this would be the case. This forum helped me and some users went out of their way to walk me through over email installing a new camshaft and degreeing it.

It still runs today.

Trust me, when you get through this you will be so excited and so happy with the challenge you took on yourself.

Getting a good camera with video and uploading what you're doing to youtube and then posting the link in an forum post can bring direct replies as if we are all there.

hope this helps.

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 02-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_blake View Post
I've been there, before there were forums and I was only 22 running around with my car to each shop asking what's wrong and where did my power go? It's been 20 years and I haven't found it yet. The forum helped prevent me from paying the shops to do the same things I could do myself.

What I find is this forum has people on it that would climb in a car and come over and just help out and cross train. If we all lived in same city I'm sure this would be the case. This forum helped me and some users went out of their way to walk me through over email installing a new camshaft and degreeing it.

It still runs today.

Trust me, when you get through this you will be so excited and so happy with the challenge you took on yourself.

Getting a good camera with video and uploading what you're doing to youtube and then posting the link in an forum post can bring direct replies as if we are all there.

hope this helps.
I find that a lot of people that I have seen have great car skills, they learned from their parents. My dad has always been the "pay someone to do it" no matter what. I kind of took the same stance until my early 20's when kids/house came along. Don't get me wrong I hate paying someone to do work for me that I am able bodied to do.

The good thing with me is I am never hurting for a vehicle, so it is never super pressing/rushed to get it done. I have two all-year cars and 2 sports cars, so I can take my time to figure things out (I work very slowly on cars as you may tell)

But honestly that car would sit there for the next 10 years in the garage if I didn't have this forum. Believe it or not the problems (unless I randomly make more) are getting less and less. Until I get the timing light and possibly new carb I will leave the motor as it is and focus on getting these lights working right

Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Totally understand, when I got my car it was fully restored, I was young, a miracle I got it for what I offered with less than 15 miles on full restore at 22 years old. I thought to myself I better pay everyone to work on it - ITS OUT OF MY league to work on it. Sure I'd fiddle with carb's, plugs etc but this thing must be a serious beast and as such better let the people who built the car work on it.

Now 15+ years later I have way more experience and now choose what jobs I can take on what jobs I should pass off. The jobs I like have to interest me.

Do I care to rebuilt a differential, nah. tune and engine, build an engine - you bet!

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My dad never was a car guy, so my best course has been to buy the best car i can afford, and that that has lead me up to getting trophys with my 68 GTO at shows at strong as Norwalk. Also by knowing and respecting those "pros" on these cars, most will be more then willing to help you out. Treat people with respect and they'll be there for you

Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_blake View Post
Totally understand, when I got my car it was fully restored, I was young, a miracle I got it for what I offered with less than 15 miles on full restore at 22 years old. I thought to myself I better pay everyone to work on it - ITS OUT OF MY league to work on it. Sure I'd fiddle with carb's, plugs etc but this thing must be a serious beast and as such better let the people who built the car work on it.

Now 15+ years later I have way more experience and now choose what jobs I can take on what jobs I should pass off. The jobs I like have to interest me.

Do I care to rebuilt a differential, nah. tune and engine, build an engine - you bet!
Well, you have me beat, at least you like doing some of this stuff. I hate the action of doing it, but love the accomplishment of succeeding. I guess that might be normal in the automotive world. I think if I didn't start on the wrong foot with this car it would be more enjoyable. Anyway, the list is getting shorter and shorter as we go, and finding out I get parts at cost from NAPA from work really lightens the financial part of this thing.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good point, my dad did help me with doing oil changes on my first car and changing spark plugs, he always kept his cars real nice and was under the hood with armour all as his dad always taught him you can sell it for more if you maintain it. That with my first car a 74 Camaro rust bucket, in many respects it was a lot more fun to drive a car that the body you don't care about and the value of it is less than $1500. you worry less, but try and tell that to a 16 year old. LOL.

My friends were all taking mechanics and I was taking computers so we always tinkered with our cars before racing them and one friend worked at a race shop. Incidentally that shop went under for bad service and my engine in the car I bought was from them, so that would explain why the cam went bad.

the type of shop that wanted repeat business I suspect, ah well those days are long gone.

Well it's sunny out I'm gonna go work on my new truck and change the air filter.

Yee haw.