THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM

Default Lost my job yesterday

For the first time in my life, I was fired from a job. After working for Multiband as a DirecTV technician for five years and putting in 60+ hours a week I'm now without income. A supervisor flat out lied about a conversation that never happened and it led to me being let go.

Any advice on how to go about getting my job back? I have written statements by my own supervisor and two other technicians that were with me when this supposed conversation happened. I've contacted HR and while they're looking into it, they're taking their time. I'd like to get this figured out quickly as I have three kids and a partially disabled wife that needs insurance.

1967 Mustang
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mach par For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would contact an attorney who specializes in employment issues, the sooner, the better. Make sure you have copies of your written statements.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paint guy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It really depends what state you're in. A better us of your energy and time would probably be working to find another job. No use fighting the old employer and winning your job back in 2016 if you starved sometime in 2015.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

terrible to hear

hope you get back on your feet ASAP

I agree that you should try to find employment else where in the mean time (honestly would you want to work again for a boss that did that to an employee?)

Just a thought, but would it be possible to get on with another satellite or cable company?

I would search around on
indeed.com

Good luck

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
The Following User Says Thank You to Captainofiron For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 08:25 PM

The business is located in Indiana whereas I live in Kentucky. With being in college still and not much work experience related to my field of study, it will be hard to find a job that pays $20+/hr like I do now. I just emptied my savings as a down payment for a house as well. So nothing really to fall back on.

1967 Mustang
Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best of luck. Many of us have been down that road.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Suspended

Yes, many of us have been there. Get another job unless they do something for you immediately. It's my experience that your super will get the benefit of a doubt. Suck it up and let them go.

Stay in school. Make an education for yourself. Make sure it's not in History or else you'll have to resort to a paralegal certificate to be viably employable.

The Following User Says Thank You to PonchoV8 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This won't get your job back, but may help you survive. Around here there are lots of independent contractors doing DTV and cable. If it's the same in your area, maybe see if you can get work with one of them until you can do better.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a pension at risk? apparently no ( I just read).

if not, then hmmm, guys like you are in demand (in Phila, Just about every major city, and Suburb) huh. Perhaps honesty on your plight, in an interview will ring well.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
Yes, many of us have been there. Get another job unless they do something for you immediately. It's my experience that your super will get the benefit of a doubt. Suck it up and let them go.

Stay in school. Make an education for yourself. Make sure it's not in History or else you'll have to resort to a paralegal certificate to be viably employable.
education... I think he just got an education on life and how people can be.. Asume the worse from people....and hope for the best...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach par View Post
The business is located in Indiana whereas I live in Kentucky. With being in college still and not much work experience related to my field of study, it will be hard to find a job that pays $20+/hr like I do now. I just emptied my savings as a down payment for a house as well. So nothing really to fall back on.
IN and KY are both "at will" states. You can be fired for ANYTHING. My advice would be to have an attorney contact the legal dept. at your former employer and demand a copy of your employment records. When it come to for your unemployment hearing, you'll want these records. They (your former employer) will fight to make sure you DO NOT collect unemployment.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Suspended

He got an education in how someone else can take something from you. A degree can not be taken by another man. A man with a job and no education are not as desirable as a man with an education and no job. He's in college to probably get out off of poles. Some employers suck. Some employees suck. Some can't get along with others.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The first thing I would do is to go to the competition. You have the experience.

I wouldn't spend much time on fighting this thing. Looking for a new job is tough enough. I don't see how you could have you head in the game doing both.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Become the 1% 'er..LOL

Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
terrible to hear

hope you get back on your feet ASAP

I agree that you should try to find employment else where in the mean time (honestly would you want to work again for a boss that did that to an employee?)

Just a thought, but would it be possible to get on with another satellite or cable company?

I would search around on
indeed.com

Good luck
Why do you wont to thank him? I think this is sad news IMOI.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint guy View Post
I would contact an attorney who specializes in employment issues, the sooner, the better. Make sure you have copies of your written statements.
x2, contacting someone who specializes in labor laws wouldnt hurt.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default your lost job

I am going thru the same thing...after 6 years fired because I did not get along with my lazy female stupidviser who had over 20 years...the worst is waiting 8 weeks for unemployment..if you need money take any job..it will not affect your claim...and move on...a company can get away with firing you...and I was Union...I do not know how old you are but I am 51...20 years ago I would not have cared less...I still am not certain how things will turn out...be prepared to wait to get any money...unemployment does offer training....you have a family to focus on...what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger...I know, just words...search the internet to stay positive...seek out the unemployment office on a job search..everything is the internet...you gotta stay strong..take a few days to mourn..then start looking...good luck and keep us posted

Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Senior Chief

I'm sorry to hear that.

I just cringe at the thought of loosing my job. I've lost one before, and I can tell you its no joke.

Often when I'm at work, I think about just getting another job that isn't so hard on me, as well as allowing me to take more classes, but I know that if I lost my job it would be devastating to me.

I hope things turn around for you. Actually, I hope things turn out better for you then before.

Be strong brother.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 AM

I got fired in May of last year from Hertz because of management lie's and BS, i'm 57 and that's the first time I've been fired and it suck's, I gave them 12 year's. I tried going to a fair labor lawyer and was told they couldn't do anything. It's rough being unemployed being single with grown kids and paid mortgage, I can't imagine what it would be like with kids and a mortgage. I wish the best for you and we're all pulling for you. Maybe someone on this forum can hire you or knows of someone that is hiring.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Like others have said, if it is an at will state they can fire you for any or no reason. Fighting and getting a lawyer is a waste of time and money. Good luck.

1973 Trans Am Black Pro-Touring - 535 CI Butler Motor, FAST EFI, Tri-Y Headers, Tremec 5 Speed, Gen II front tubular and DSE 4-link rear suspension, 18x9 front, 18x12 rear Rushforth Night Train wheels and more.