Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Senior Chief

Default LED Light swappers, help

On my 80 Bird, I have been working on switching over the rear tail lights to LED lights.
I bought the 1157s of EBay. I also switched over to the Tridon EL12 flasher.
The brake lights work fine without any issue. When you turn the tail lights on, they do not work. No brake, no light, etc.

What to do?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

TTT

Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd put the old bulbs back in and see if they still work right. If they do then I'd suspect the LED bulbs.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to HJones1313

The LED bulbs that I've got off eBay have been utter crap. The ones I got from Pep Boys (194's and 1157's) are bright, expensive but work. I've also bought H4 LED headlight bulbs, and although I've only bench-tested them, they seem dim. However, they were only $16 for four, shipped; you get what you pay for. To the OP, check the eBay listing for notes regarding adding resistors etc, which sometimes has to be done to get the LED bulbs working.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HJones,

There are many different 1157 LEDs on Ebay, which brand/model/s did you get that you did not like. I'm sure there are a lot that are junk and probably some that are OK. Knowing which particular ones to avoid would be helpful.

Do you have a brand/model # for the bulbs that you got from Pep Boys that you liked, or do they just come in Pep Boys packaging.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Default LED'S

Not familiar with the flasher you have - but Led's require an electronic NO LOAD flasher- that might be your problem ( Conventional bulbs draw power causing the flasher to pulse-the small amount of draw with LED's won't let the factory style flasher pulse)-- some no loads even have a rate of adjustment for directional pulse time. The cheepo LED'S are just that- I have sequentials in my car and had a problem with one bulb being dim- turned out the side pins are almost in the same location and I had the bulb in 180 degrees off. Super Bright Leds has a nice web site and not that bad of a bulb. Another note- use the same color bulb as the lens it's going in or they look weird. IE: Red- tail lights--Amber -Front Directionals or what have you- a white LED in a red taillight makes it look pink ! Every bulb in my car is Led except headlights - wouldn't run a conventional bulb again. Good Luck - hope this helped

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to HJones1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
HJones,

There are many different 1157 LEDs on Ebay, which brand/model/s did you get that you did not like. I'm sure there are a lot that are junk and probably some that are OK. Knowing which particular ones to avoid would be helpful.

Do you have a brand/model # for the bulbs that you got from Pep Boys that you liked, or do they just come in Pep Boys packaging.

In general, the cheaper the bulbs, the less likely they are to work well, I'm sorry, but I have nothing part number or brand-wise to give you, since I changed them years ago. I did however, recently get some single element 194 bulbs off eBay that were nowhere near as bright as 4-element bulbs from Pep Boys, but again, I don't remember the brand.